Trade my Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 for 50mm 1.4?

Breanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a Tamron 28-75 2.8. I'm not LOVING it. Its extremly slow to focus, which is my main pet peeve. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine lens, but I'm kind of regretting getting it instead of the 50mm 1.4. My 50mm 1.8 has treated me very well, but it's currently out of commission (don't really care to replace it). I shoot with an XTi, so I can't take advantage of the full frame with the Tamron. It's versitile- its only saving grace at this point. I have a couple of weddings coming up and would prefer not to rent a lens. However, the majority of my work is portraits where the 50mm 1.4 would be perfect. Budget is tight right now, so if I want the 50mm 1.4, I would really need to sell the Tamrom.

What would you do? :sexywink:

I wouldn't say that not having the full field of view is such a bad thing. The worst thing is that it leaves room for a bright light to be in the lens' FoV, but not the sensor's, so to speak, which can become annoying working with flashes at close ranges to the subject; the risk of flare is greater. Grr.

I would get the f/1.4. I have it, and I love it. Fast to focus, and beautiful bokeh. Oh, and it's as tack sharp as any L glass I've seen. The build quality is pretty solid. My only real complaint is that the focusing mechanism is pretty weak, and is likely to break with any significant impact. As long as you don't drop it you should be fine (mine had an unfortunate meeting with concrete and wouldn't focus thereafter).

Yes, I noticed the breakability factor with my 50 1.8. I had it for 3 weeks before something got in it (dirt or dust) and it hasn't been the same since. I've managed to make it work, although its a tad touchy. Now that I have other lenses to work with, I don't have the patience for a half broken lens anymore.

I've shot with the 50 1.4 once before and I can't get it out of my mind. I think the Tamron is more practical, but gosh darnit, I want the 1.4!

Make yourself happy and get the 50mm 1.4. I have it and like it. And that is using it next to my 85L mkII and 70-200 2.8 IS. It really is a great little lens. Makes the 50mm 1.8 look bad.

I have the 28-75/2.8 and I have a 50/1.4. The real answer is have both. Ha. But tht's now what you want to hear at the moment. I find the 28-75 to be a really nice working length for portraits, and I only use the 50 if I want to shoot at a faster aperture. But I will say that every lens I own is pro grade and 2.8 or faster, and the 28-75 is the sharpest lens I have. And that's not because the others aren't sharp, the tamron is just insano, blow your mind sharp.

It seems like a lot of people prefer this tamron lens, is it considered one of the best lenses in its category? I likewise have been trying to find a good zoom lens in that focal length and wonder what some of the top contenders are.

I've shot with the 50 1.4 once before and I can't get it out of my mind. I think the Tamron is more practical, but gosh darnit, I want the 1.4!

Once you try a 50mm F/1.4 lens, it is VERY hard to go back.

3811006459_5ffbce81cc.jpg

The things one can do with this kind of lens is something that just cannot be done anywhere else as nicely. I can shoot 50% of an entire wedding with just this lens and the creative possibilities are endless!

I have the Tamron as well and love it I also have the Sigma 50 f1.4 and that is one of my fav's....................

Most reactions

Back