trading shutter speed with pic quality?

leotopia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought a Ricoh Caplio RX. The ad says it has the quickest shooting speed (said leo unprofessionally), which means that the time from you press the shutter to the picture being taken is very very short, while other camaras have to "think" a while before taking the shot. My concern is, is it trading off the thinking time which is related to the picture quality for the shooting speed?

don't know your camera but usually cameras have different shutter speeds (this is necessary cause you will face different light sources and if you don't wanna get overexposured pics you(the camera) gotta set the right speed). Maybe it has a "ultra fast" shutter but only in special situations depending on light and on what you want to capture.

Thanks, I knew I didn't explain right. I think its not the shutter speed that's fast, its rather the time between your pressing the button and the picture being captured is short. Vs. eg. a Sony camara I used, after pressing the shooting button, it thinks for a while. May it was taking measurements and calculating for the right setting......Is it a little bit more clear?

Shutter speed (1/125, 1/500, etc.) won't effect quality.

Usually if you press the shutter half-way down, it looks at the scene and pre-calculates everything- focus, shutter speed, aperture, etc. and "locks it", waiting for you to hit the button.

Pressing the shutter the rest of the way actually takes the picture, but there may be a period of time from the time you press the shutter and the time it actually records the scene, otherwise known as "shutter lag". For instance, you may hit the shutter just as a diver hits the water, but it actually records it after he's halfway in. If you take a lot of action shots you get a feel for your camer's shutter lag and compensate for it. Naturally, if you don't pre-lock the scene and just hit the shutter, it has to do all the above (focus, calculate exposure, and record the scene) all at once which can take even more time.

None of the above effect the quality.

Shutter speed (1/125, 1/500, etc.) won't effect quality

Well, that's not strictly true.

If, like me, you've got a bit of the old 'shakey hands syndrome' then a higher shutter speed will certainly improve the quality of your picture by preventing blurring....especially if you're shooting with a zoom lens and no tripod.

[quote/]For instance, you may hit the shutter just as a diver hits the water, but it actually records it after he's halfway in. [/quote]

I think that's what i'm talking about. My camara has a really small Shtter Lag. And it's not an expensive camara. Is it bc the processor's really fast, or is it not doing enough "thinking"?

I think that's what i'm talking about. My camara has a really small Shtter Lag. And it's not an expensive camara. Is it bc the processor's really fast, or is it not doing enough "thinking"?

I really don't quite understand your concern here. Do you like the quality of photos that your camera takes?

If yes, then there's no problem. If no then get a different camera. I don't think that delving into the way it works has much bearing on that essential question.

I really don't quite understand your concern here. [/quote]

It's rather the wondering of this technology. Not whether I've bought the right camara. Thanks for ur info

This shouldn't be a problem unless its digital. Digital is known for it's lag. I think the fastest digitals right now are the 20D and the D2H. Film should be so fast you don't notice any lag whatsoever.

Lower quality? Seems doubtful. If anything the quality might be higher. Better craftsmanship in one area, might be better craftsmanship overall.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back