Tragedy...busted my D90

Jim Walczak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While on a camping/hiking trip this past week, I dropped my Nikon D90 on a LARGE rock, while fussing with my stupid tripod trying to get a waterfall pic. The camera does still seem to be working (for now at least), however the viewfinder and diopter are busted all to hell. I may contact Nikon about a repair, but as the D90 is a bit older anyways, I'm gonna to consider my options here first.

I've seen they made a D40, D60, D70, etc., but after the D90, there doesn't appear to be another immediate successor in this same model line (as the D100, D200, D300 are different types of prosumer cameras as I understand). It's also my understanding that the D3300, D5200 and D5300, etc., can't use the older manual Nikon/Nikkor lenses so that's not really an option...something to do with metering I think (not to mention, at the risk of sounding like a gear snob, they feel kind of "cheap" comparatively speaking).

I've been VERY happy with my D90, so I don't really need any kind of extravagant upgrade (and I can't afford extravagant in any case). Also not concerned about "video" or other bells and whistles. Mainly I just need something with comparable features that will still use my older manual Nikkor lenses. I may even look around for another used D90...again I've been very pleased with this camera.

So to cut to the chase here, what replaced the D90? Is it the D7000?

Thanks!

D7000 would be a great choice and you can use all of your older lenses. I used many AF and AF-D lenses with my d7000.

Wish I had the knowledge to help with specific models. Hopefully, Derrel will come along with some great info. Im pretty sure you could find something used and reasonably priced that will (((((what is your budget?))))))) exceed the capabilities of your D90.

Any D7XXX would be a great choice. A very budget-friendly choice which would be a great improvement would be a D300/300s.

Any D7XXX would be a great choice. A very budget-friendly choice which would be a great improvement would be a D300/300s.

I looked at the D300's when I bought my D90 and between the 2, honestly...I'd go with another D90. Over-all the D90's have better image quality, particularly at the higher ISO's and even as I look at direct comparisons now, the D90 seems to edge out the D300 in most categories...slightly better color depth, better dynamic range, larger viewfinder, better IQ, etc.. Also, the D300 uses the stinkin' CF cards instead of SD...I've seen WAY too many Canon's with broken pins, so that's not a selling point either. In fact, even the few spots where the D300 is actually better...the weather sealing, 51 focus points and faster shooting speed...those just aren't selling points for me. Not really sure how I see the D300 as an "improvement" at all.

In any case, I'm gonna keep an eye on Craigslist for a while here and see what turns up and depending on what I find and how my money situation goes over the next couple of weeks (the wife and I are buying a new house, so money is VERY tight at the moment), I may go back and look at Nikon's refurb site again. The D7000 looks interesting, but $550 is a bit steep for me at the moment, so we'll have to see.

May seem hardhearted but your D90 obit comes only about 4-6 weeks away from the semi-annual Nikon promo/sale season. You might find a new or lightly used D7000 at a nice price but try to find a D7100 if it doesn't threaten domestic tranquility. Suspect prices on these will be down around the holidays.

I looked at the D300's when I bought my D90 and between the 2, honestly...I'd go with another D90. Over-all the D90's have better image quality, particularly at the higher ISO's and even as I look at direct comparisons now, the D90 seems to edge out the D300 in most categories...slightly better color depth, better dynamic range, larger viewfinder, better IQ, etc.. Also, the D300 uses the stinkin' CF cards instead of SD...I've seen WAY too many Canon's with broken pins, so that's not a selling point either. In fact, even the few spots where the D300 is actually better...the weather sealing, 51 focus points and faster shooting speed...those just aren't selling points for me. Not really sure how I see the D300 as an "improvement" at all.

In any case, I'm gonna keep an eye on Craigslist for a while here and see what turns up and depending on what I find and how my money situation goes over the next couple of weeks (the wife and I are buying a new house, so money is VERY tight at the moment), I may go back and look at Nikon's refurb site again. The D7000 looks interesting, but $550 is a bit steep for me at the moment, so we'll have to see.
You overlooked the most important aspect of the d300/s... Build Quality! Back in the day I switched from a d90 to a d300 and the build quality and controls made the d300 more enjoyable to shoot with. My D300 took many hard tumbles and is still going strong at 160k clicks. Perhaps the d300 would have just bounced off the rocks like mine did many times and you wouldn't be looking for a new camera now...

Anyways I would highly recommend the d7100 as the IQ smokes the D90 and you don't seem like the kind of shooter that needs a big buffer.. Just MHO

Check out the D300s if you'd like video and the larger/stronger build.
If not, hit up the D7000 or D7100, of course...

The D7000 was the replacement for the D90. Nikon decided to eliminate the "Pro DX" type bodies and combined many of the features of the D300/D300S in to a D90 sized body and the D7000 series was created.

When I bought my D7000 I considered a new D300S as the price difference wasn't huge, but opted to go with the D7000 as it had the newer sensor and is far superior to the D300 with regards to low light performance.

Sorry your camera is busted. There are loads of second hand d90s everywhere for not huge money. It's a nice camera you enjoy so why not go this route again.

The d7000 is I think the successor to the d90. To be fair the d7000 second hand is a very good value option if found in good condition

Skip the d7000.

using tapatalk.

Because they had run out of D XX numbers and were soon going to be out of D XXX numbers, the camera next in line to follow the D90 was the D7000.

Jim Walczak said:
SNIP>It's also my understanding that the D3300, D5200 and D5300, etc., can't use the older manual Nikon/Nikkor lenses so that's not really an option...something to do with metering I think (not to mention, at the risk of sounding like a gear snob, they feel kind of "cheap" comparatively speaking).

I've been VERY happy with my D90, so I don't really need any kind of extravagant upgrade (and I can't afford extravagant in any case). Also not concerned about "video" or other bells and whistles. Mainly I just need something with comparable features that will still use my older manual Nikkor lenses. I may even look around for another used D90...again I've been very pleased with this camera.

If I am reading your message correctly, the older, manual Nikkor lenses, the ones built like tanks, actually WILL mount, and shoot pictures, on the so-called baby Nikons, meaning the multiple D3000-series cameras and the several D5000-series cameras WILL accept manual focus Nikkors, meaning pre-AI lenses, Ai era lenses, as well as Ai-S series and the few Ai-P lenses. No metering on any of those, and no flash metering on any of those (except for the Ai-P models). But these cameras CAN use manual Nikkor lenses.

The little D40 and D40x and D60 can also mount and shoot manual focus F-mount lenses, and those bodies are currently selling for $79 to $125 or so on the used market.

The D7000 was the D90's successor, but as cgw mentioned above, you reallllllllly ought to try and get a D7100, not a D7000.

First and foremost, thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions...I -am- grateful! After doing a fair bit of research and comparing features, prices, etc., I finally settled on a used D7000 which has already been ordered and should be in this next week. I found one in nearly mint condition for only $380, so I snagged it along with a number of accessories I had been wanting for a while anyways (remote trigger, a new polarizer, spare battery, vertical grip, etc). I did look at the 7100's, however even used they're still comparatively new and as such, were just a bit out of my price range. I also considered just a replacement D90...yea...I found a couple in great shape that were very reasonably priced, however for the difference and considering I've been getting more into video (particularly Hi Def), the D7000 just seemed like a better choice (and I think those dual memory card slots are gonna be a real plus!). From what I've read, the D7000 are supposed to do a fair degree better in lower light as well...I don't do a lot of low light shooting, but I do enough for this to be a consideration.

The -ONLY- real downside now is simply that my 6 month old puppy goes in for surgery Monday morning (to be spayed) and I'm gonna have to sit on her for the next 2 weeks until the stitches come out, so I'm not really gonna be able to take the camera out for much of a test drive. That said, once our vet gives the pup a clean bill of health, I'm planning to hit a local nature preserve and give the camera a good solid workout...being used, I want to make sure everything's working...so I'll get a few pics posted to the critiques forums as soon as they're processed, along with a full review of the camera.

Again I'm grateful to everyone for their comments and thoughts...thank you!

Most reactions

Back