Trail Freeriding - 15 photos

stc2008lt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a chance to go see my older brother yesterday for the first time in a long itme, who happened to be at Klondike Park trail riding. He's part of a website called Gateway Freeride which is a group of guys that goes and mountain bikes and dirt jumps. I was able to shoot some photos of him yesterday doin' his thing so to speak. Camera settings were at 1/1000 shutter speed with 1600ISO. It was hard to get light in, and my flash went off only when it wanted - its a Panasonic DMW-FL28 external hotshoe flash. I don't get what I might have done wrong for it to never go off. I also had an issue with trying to rapid shoot photos - even on unlimited setting which did only 1 photo per second.. didn't help my cause.

1) Driving to the main lot to get to the start of the trail
P1060872.jpg

2) Eric launching off a 3-4 feet rock face down hill
P1060891.jpg

3) Riding on some of the trail toward the top of the ridge
P1060899.jpg

4) One of the fast snaking sections
P1060915.jpg

5) My best shot, him sliding around a corner
P1060916.jpg

6) Another fast section
P1060929.jpg

7) Was able to get him coming toward me more head on
P1060934.jpg

8) a rock that was part of the trail he rode on
P1060937.jpg

9) same spot as 8 but the flash decided to go off for once.
P1060945.jpg

10) another rock face
P1060949.jpg

11) same as above
P1060951.jpg

12) Sat in a cove type formation and waited for him to come around the corner
P1060960.jpg

13) had him do it again hoping to get a flash to go off.. no go.
P1060961.jpg

14) just a bit after.
P1060964.jpg

15) wooden bridge toward the end of the trail
P1060967.jpg

C&C anyone?

i like the comp of the photos but the colors kill them. I dont really no or how to change it because the lighting from the cloudy days is the killer.

But i really like the photos

i like the comp of the photos but the colors kill them. I dont really no or how to change it because the lighting from the cloudy days is the killer.

But i really like the photos

Thank you! I hated how the cloudyness just killed the colors. And even adjusting in photoshop doesn't work because of the grain that were in the photos. I hope come spring and summer I can really get some nice photos when the trees and flowers are in bloom, not to mention that the sun will actually come out :lol:

I like 12 the best. Good comp and nice lighting. Although some fill flash would have been nice, what were you using to trigger the flash that was so unsuccessful?

I like 12 the best. Good comp and nice lighting. Although some fill flash would have been nice, what were you using to trigger the flash that was so unsuccessful?

I'm not sure. I had it on auto, the flash dial, and the camera was on shutter priority. I kept trying to get it to go off, but there had to be something I forgot to do. On my flash there are 2 dials: one for auto, auto macro, manual, and slave and one for the distance. I thought I adjusted properly, but no go. Any ideas what may have happened? I'm possibly thinking of using another flash I have around the house which I'll look on later - all I know is its a Minolta.

Your flash is not going to sync at much higher that 1/200 if you didn't know that. If you get another chance change your settings around, it seemed pretty bright in the woods since the trees have lost their leaves so you could probably drop the ISO down to around 400. I shoot in some similar woods conditions using external flash, it's just something that you have to get used to. For composition, try not to center the rider in the shot and I wouldn't bother shooting straight-aways in the downhill runs as they don't have a real "action" look to them, go for the corners and drops.

Your flash is not going to sync at much higher that 1/200 if you didn't know that. If you get another chance change your settings around, it seemed pretty bright in the woods since the trees have lost their leaves so you could probably drop the ISO down to around 400. I shoot in some similar woods conditions using external flash, it's just something that you have to get used to. For composition, try not to center the rider in the shot and I wouldn't bother shooting straight-aways in the downhill runs as they don't have a real "action" look to them, go for the corners and drops.

Those are some really good tips! So I'd be able to knock the shutter speed down to 1/200 and have a 400ISO, then I might be good? I'll check in with him to see if he wants to meet up again this weekend.

Those are some really good tips! So I'd be able to knock the shutter speed down to 1/200 and have a 400ISO, then I might be good? I'll check in with him to see if he wants to meet up again this weekend.

Well those settings are just an example, check out my flickr and look at the EXIF info on some of my riding shots. But yeah just experiment with a lot of different settings, that's going to be the most difficult part.

Well those settings are just an example, check out my flickr and look at the EXIF info on some of my riding shots. But yeah just experiment with a lot of different settings, that's going to be the most difficult part.

Wow those are some excellent shots of the riding. I love how they're all lit up nicely with the strobes. I'm thinkin about maybe getting some strobes in the future.

ps also added you as a contact on Flickr if you didn't mind

Even less than that, this shot is at 1/60 no flash
97505107_gPvb8-M.jpg

I'll have to look at it when I get home, the computer I'm on now has a rather odd firewall system that's blocking smugmug altogether :/

Wow nice photo there now that I'm on a PC that can see Smugmug.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back