train station by night

ernie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cyberliquid.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
train station where i live. color versions coming later.

train-station-12.jpg

Pretty cool shot, i like it.
It would be cool to see the color version, ill keep an eye out.

its got great mood. im liking the b/w. is the lighting an effect in PP or is that just how it happened? ive seen this starburst lighting in other photos and i was just wondering because it looks neat.

its got great mood. im liking the b/w. is the lighting an effect in PP or is that just how it happened? ive seen this starburst lighting in other photos and i was just wondering because it looks neat.

Yeah thats usually from long exposure

Long exposures with bright lights like that cause the star effect. Or you can buy filters, but it is not done in post.

With out a filter its actually not achieved from just long exposures but from VERY narrow apertures (ie F/22). These smaller apertures obviously demand a long exposure for night shots.

I honestly like it all but the light stars. They seem a bit big, and I wish the focus was on the tracks instead.

If you mean blurry vs sharp focus Sulfur, i believe the focus is quite sharp on the tracks.

With a small aperture like was used here in order to create the star effects of the platform lights (they'd have looked like ugly bright light blobs if this photo had been taken with a large aperture and shorter shutter speed), the focus is practically from front to back, everywhere, so automatically also on the tracks.

I myself like the star effect light source get when you do night photography with a small aperture A LOT MORE than the big blobs of light you get otherwise!

although the blobs do work wonders in a gritty industrial inner-city sometimes.

This is really neat its simple and ambient.

thanks for all the comments!

i think the settings here were F20 and shutter 20 seconds, iso 100. no filter is used.
the thing with star filters is though, you can choose how many points your star has. filters go from 4 points to 8 points i believe. where as without a filter, you let it depend on your lens. for example, thorhammer's long exposure photos have different starbursts than mine. don't ask me how or why that is, it's just something i've noticed.

It depends on how many blades your aperture has in your lens. This will show up in Bokeh also.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back