transferring pictures to the puter

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by SCWIDVICIOUS, Apr 15, 2007.

1. SCWIDVICIOUS

SCWIDVICIOUS Where did I put that camera?

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you use for tranferring your pics to your computer?

I am going to get a card reader to carry with me, and I have one at home built into my printer. At the moment, i normally use the wire that came with my xti. I know readers have to be faster. Its totally inconvienient to use the one in the printer.

Do you use any software, or just drag and drop from the card?

2. gmarquez

gmarquez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On one of our desktops, I have a SanDisk multi-format card reader...the other desktop (my wife's) has a multi reader built in. The laptops both take SD cards, which my D80 uses, so there you go.

I tend to drag and drop instead of using automated software, because I'm a bit of a control freak.

3. taracor

taracor TPF Noob!

I just use my USB cable. I used PictureProject a few times to save my photos (BIG mistake) and now I have to keep using it because otherwise I am going to have to reorganize a few GB of pictures by hand, and I don't want to do that, especially with my lack of RAM. About the card reader, it isn't going to be much faster if it is a USB card reader. Data goes through USB at teh same rate, through both your camera and your card reader.

4. SCWIDVICIOUS

Photos NOT OK to edit
    cable takes a long time to initialize on the computer for me.
    like if I plug it in, it often takes it a few minutes before it ready to transfer with the software supplied with the camera, and it wire

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmm that may be more of a software issue. Even on dad's relic upstairs both my D200, my sister's Olympus C730 and our Multicard reader initialise instantly as an external drive when I plug them in.

6. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

After waiting the 7 to 10 days to get slides back, I use a scanner. ;)

7. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use the EOS Utility my camera came with and just plug my cam in. I Like it because it can name all the files how I want

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    A small compact card reader or through a Wolverine image bank. If you notice slow performance from your card reader, make sure both the card reader and the USB port it is plugged into are USB 2.0. Older computers have USB 1.0 which is pretty darn slow and was originally intended to connect peripherals (mice, keyboards etc).

9. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not all cameras transfer at USB 2.0. Many use USB 1.0, which is a lot slower. The real benefit to using a card reader is that you leave your camera turned off and save battery power, or continue to shoot on a new card.

10. SCWIDVICIOUS

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have usb 2.0, 2 gigs of ram (crucial, yea baby:)), 1700 amd turion 64 bit in my laptop. also 120 gig hd. XP pro.

I should try to reinstall the software i guess. the transfer its self isnt slow, it is the initializing. it can take 5 minutes before it is "ready" to transfer.
    when you snap 3 pictures, and want to get one in a hurry, that is very annoying..lol
    I am still going to get a card reader next time i think of it when im out.

The card is extreme III 4 gig card.

11. RacePhoto

RacePhoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Card readers. I don't want some software to rename and organize my photos for me. :wink: I also sometimes save some pictures to a laptop and later transfer them all to a desktop, so I want them to stay on the cards.

I save all the files, as they are, then if I want to do resizing or editing, I copy them to another folder or save the originals to a CD or DVD. I try to keep the original, unedited photos, before I start editing. (minus all the junk and mistakes)

12. Unreal Tuner

Unreal Tuner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

You could also check to see if you are running too many programs in the background at once. Sometimes if you exit some of them it might speed it up.

Plain ol' usb cable for me! :thumbup: