Transgender wedding photog causes a stir

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Derrel, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here's a story about a woman who booked a six foot tall male photographer named David--who showed up dressed in women's attire for the wedding. Apparently, it was the photographer's first time dressed in women's attire. Ultimately, the bride was not impressed with the photos. I thought this photographer's anti-copying technique was interesting: using two lines of marker squiggles to prevent copying of the proofs. Low-tech, but effective.

The story here is rather brief. I expect that people will keep this discussion respectful, even though the topic and subject involved is outside the norm of daily living, I suspect that this will not be the last time this happens.

Sex swap ‘David Brent’ runs bride’s day | The Sun |News

2. mdtusz

mdtusz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm all for open sexual orientation, however, I think "Kate" probably should have mentioned hers... If I were a bride, I would most likely be a little upset if I were put in that position. The pictures on the webpage do look pretty sub-par as well, all other things aside.

3. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It looks like a cheap kit lens on the camera! haha They usually have a silver ring around them right?

4. TiaS

TiaS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't understand how that could ruin a wedding. It is about the photos, not the person. If the photographer behaved obnoxiously or loudly, than I could see that as an issue, but as far as looks... I don't think that matters. The photography is what matters. I also don't understand how you can be 'diagnoses' with transgender. That does not make the person any less of a person or photographer.

If I was the bride, personally I would worry about photo quality, not the way the photographer looked (unless he/she was dishelved, stinky, and sloppy), or that they were copywrighted with a line through them.

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Eewwww Derral reads the Sun! ;) :lmao:

That kind of makes getting an honest answer of out the story a bit of a disaster for a starting point.

Honestly though looks are amazingly important - especailly at a wedding (I mean come on if they weren't would bride spend as much as they do on a dress they wear only a handfull of times). Many I think would have no problem with a transgender photographer; however if they cannot dress correctly and appropriatly for a wedding then their gender or sexuality has nothing to do with it - they are incorrectly dressed. It would be the same if they turned up in a vest, ripped jeans and sporting an afro.

Clearly we are dealing with the lower end of the photography market, but even so there are some standards that have to be met and attire is one area that most people should not be failing in.

Photographic quality is highly subjective though - if the images the photographer made are in line with the work they display in their portfolio then the bride has no comeback about the quality - however if the images produced are significantly worse then there is cause for contesting them.

Though the brides comments on the watermarking (neatly effective too) lead me to suspect that neither she nor the photographer are on good speaking terms...

6. TiaS

TiaS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that she/he dressed professionally by wearing a dress, dress shoes, etc. It's not like he showed up in sweats and a halter top with bra straps showing.

7. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Apparently they weren't very good.

8. manicmike

manicmike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    would you rather he came looking like Ricky Gervais? Just sayin'.

9. TiaS

TiaS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If it was about the photos, than that would have been what the main focus on. As it is, the photo quality seemed to be a sidenote.

10. keith foster

keith foster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would suspect that when she saw the low quality of the pictures the bride started being upset with EVERYTHING, including how the photographer was dressed. I bet if the pics had turned out topnotch she wouldn't have said a thing.

11. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Throw **** against the wind and some will end up on your face...

:thumbup: +1

Judging from Overread's reaction I have a feeling that my recollection of the Sun is pretty much correct. Trash. Was this story next to the one about Elvis visiting the queen for tea last week?

The fact that you would go dig up such a piece of valuable journalism doesn't say much about you Derrel.

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well, the odd thing about The Sun, the National Enquirer,and many of the other alternative newspapers is that the stories they carry are often actually true! I learned that while studying university journalism: the same story will be carried across multiple media outlets. It is an odd bit of news. Truth is often stranger than fiction. The British tabloid media has an odd knack for ferreting out the oddness in British culture.

I find it humorous that c.cloudwalker is still trying to disparage me personally, a week later. Last week he called me an ass. I thought maybe moving to Europe might mellow him out, but apparently not,. This post marks c.cloudwalker's second personal attack on me in less than a week. Nice going c.cloudwalker.:thumbup:

Speaking of clowns, I thought it was funny that the wedding photographer has a second job--as a Ricky Gervais impersonator!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.