translator needs help with photographic equipment language

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by martyredcars, May 18, 2010.

1. martyredcars

martyredcars TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello,

I'm a translator working on a Russian novel in which there are some darkroom scenes with photographic equipment. I've been able to work out equivalent translations for most of the stuff, but there's a piece of equipment that's eluding me, and I was wondering if the members of this forum might be able to help.

The literal translation of the piece of equipment is "bright glossy plate". I'll attach a picture the author sent me if I can figure out how. Here's how he described it to me: "That’s a device used to give gloss to prints – see attached. I don’t know if that process was used elsewhere. You would stick wet prints to the thing’s glossy plates, turn it on and in a few minutes the prints would by dry and glossy."

The story takes place in the 1980's in the Soviet Union. This might be a uniquely Soviet piece of equipment, but if so, can you explain to me how an equivalent process or piece of equipment works (and is named) in English?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

2. martyredcars

martyredcars TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since I'm inept at photo attachments, I've made the picture of the device in question my avatar.

Thanks!

3. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The component that is a "bright glossy plate" is a "ferrotype plate". Here is one available at BH Photo: Arkay | Chrome Ferrotype Plate 12 x 17" | B&H Photo Video

Such things, used properly, will give the classic fiber based "glossy" prints a true high gloss. They will do nothing to make the print dry quickly. Drying will take many hours.

To make prints dry quickly you used a heated print dryer (see Doran | 12x17" Thermostatic Twin Chromed Print | PRT2C). Back in the day when using such things with fiber based prints and wanting a high gloss ( a long obsolete obsession since the introduction of RC glossy papers some 30+ years ago) such driers were available with built-in ferrotype plates, though even then most darkroom users used separate ferrotype plates in driers that lacked one built in. Without the ferrotype plates, the prints will dry with a duller semi-gloss finish.

4. martyredcars

martyredcars TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Dwig! That's just what I needed.