Trash the Dress session

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by i Kandi Photography, Aug 25, 2009.

1. i Kandi Photography

i Kandi Photography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So, Im getting ready to book my first Trash the Dress session. Pretty excited about it since it will add something unique to my portfolio. It's a pretty unique case also. Normally these sessions are shot with both Bride and Groom and has a little love behind it (although you ARE trashing your dress ) but the girl I will be shooting got married and divorced in a matter of months and is extremely excited to LITERALLY trash her dress! She is willing to do anything. I have seen the typical under waterfall photos, in water, rolling in grass..etc. but was wondering if anyone had any other good ideas for this situation. I have seen the photo of the girl running with the dress burning (which my client loves) and wasnt sure how that was done. I'm guessing alot of photoshop and read he used a dummie or something. Just would love to get some other ideas aside from whats out there =)

2. MelissaMarieImagery

MelissaMarieImagery TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How about paints or markers? Have little kids draw on her or something. That could be fun lol

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The possibilities are endless. Think of 'dirty' locations like junk yards or old factories etc. Someplace where a bride would look totally out of place.

I like the paint idea, although it would probably be a one shot deal and it would look best if the dress started off clean.

That's the biggest problem with TTD, you may only get one chance at the killer shot of her actually getting the dress dirty. All the subsequent shots will be of an already dirty dress.

4. i Kandi Photography

i Kandi Photography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Love the ideas. Thanks everyone. I didnt even think about a junkyard. Are they easy to access or do you have to notify the owner. She did mention "wanting" to burn the dress afterwards but im trying to think of a way to do this and still make it look good for a picture. I could just have it laying on the ground and shoot down at it while standing on a ladder, but hope to figure something else out .The shot of that model running with her dress on fire is just an outstanding idea! Any volunteers?? :lol::lol:

5. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh yes. Cleanse it with FIRE!

*ahem* Um, if you come up with an awesome way to light a dress on fire and make it look cool, I wanna see. :)

6. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well the fire thing can work if it has a long train. Start the train on fire and let her run just have a fire extinguisher handy. Mud is always good too. Also you could spot burn it then have her wear it as well.

7. dizzyg44

dizzyg44 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  8. Missdaisy

Missdaisy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Have her in a mechanics shop on a creeper sliding under a car. Show different shot of her changing the oil. She could use her dress to wipe her greasy hands off. Or this is something that you could do in a driveway so you wouldn't actually need to get permission from a shop.

9. rub

rub TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If she is willign to burn it, I am envisioning it half hanging out of a barrle, on fire, with her walking away from it, in just her lingerie and heels, and DEFINATLY not looking back at it ;)

Good luck - can't wait to see the results!

Geez - I may have to do that for my next session!

10. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just did one a few days ago.

[​IMG]

However, a TTD doesn't mean you literally destroy the dresss (it could if you want, though), however, it does mean you are going to get it dirty. It is a LOT more economically viable for her to do a TTD, then dry clean and sell the dress and with those funds, very likely pay for part or even all of the TTD session! ;)

Flickr slideshow HERE for a few ideas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides, these are the kinds of shots that would drive her ex (and other guys), WILD... instead of being just bitter and burn or completely ruin the dress instead of selling it.

Playing with fire... EXTREMELY irresponsible and dangerous. Unless you have a lot of experience with fire... stay away from it. The last thing we want to be reading is a headline like "local photographer permanently scars 80% of recently divoriced bride's face by setting fire to her wedding dress during a photo shoot..."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  11. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually I have some fire retarder to control what part of a fabric will burn.

12. MelissaMarieImagery

MelissaMarieImagery TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would not let someone set my dress on fire while I am wearing it. That's all I have to say about that.

Those shots were amazing Jerry. How did you light them?