Travel insurance coverage for photo gear

Brahms

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'll be spending my next semester abroad in India, and I've been looking around the internet trying to find a theft coverage policy to no avail. I'll probably be bringing a fair amount of my photo gear (about $2000 worth, most likely, plus my laptop - why miss such a great opportunity for photos) with me, and most policies I've seen only cover theft up to $1000. Does anyone out there have experience with this?

Also, is anyone familiar with manufacturer warranty coverage for damage overseas, especially for Pentax?

Thanks!

I have a home insurance policy and my camera gear is covered under that...even when travelling. The deductible is pretty high, so I have a separate Ryder for my camera gear, with a $50 deductible.

I used to carry a policy for the business, because I always figured I would break a qvc punch bowl which would miraculously become an heirloom before the claim was settled.

It also covered theft while going to and from the job sites, but not cameras left in the car over night. Check your coverage carefully since you will be in foreign countries. Insurance policies have more loopholes than a poorly knitted sweater.

Anything from your home such as cameras etc. is covered by home insurance. Thats always to my knowledge. My dad was worried about his laptop in the car while travelling and it's covered under home insurance, and she sounded like it always was that way.

Erm really? I don't think I have ever seen travel insurance which does NOT cover electronic / photography equipment to the tune of $2000. It has been a standard part of the policy for every travel insurance I've had including the free ones you get when you do things like buy an airline ticket with a mastercard.

There are two ways to go for the hobbiest.

1. Home owners insurance.
Pros: Already have it so you are covered. (more or less)
Cons: A Deductible sometimes quite high. Usually limited to something like $2000.00 with out paying for extra coverage. Any clam goes against your homeowners insurance thereby possibly changing your rates depending on the number of claims you have had.

2. Separate Articles Policy. (what I have)
Pros: No deductible. Covers, theft, loss, damage of any kind, even if it is from my own fumble fingers or if I just forget to pick up the bag and leave it somewhere. $190 a year is covering 17,000,00-#20,000.00 in gear for me at full replacement value. Doesn't go against my homeowners insurance if I have a clam.
Cons: For every article covered I must provide proof of purchase and serial numbers if applicable. (Not all that tough, I just fax a copy of the sales receipt and warranty card to my insurance agent) As with homeowners insurance they retain the right to repair an article that is repairable before replacing it.

If photography is a business then you Must carry business insurance as neither homeowners or separate articles policies will cover.

Most reactions

Back