travel insurance to cover camera equipment

jerseygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i plan on taking my camera, a couple lenses, flash, etc. on a trip to italy next week. would it be wise to have some type of travel insurance just in case these items get stolen? if someone could point me in the right direction to acquire coverage for ~$2000 (if such a thing even exists), i'd appreciate it...thanks!

If you have homeowners or renters insurance, call you broker and have them add a rider to you policy......and his advice.

My camera gear is covered under my home owner's policy...even when on vacation etc. I do, however, have a high deductible, so for my camera gear...having a separate rider on the policy was a good idea.

If you don't have an existing policy...just call up a few insurance companies and ask for quotes.

also, note that many of the "basic" home owners/renters policies will only cover a small dollar amount on electronics/camera gear (as well as jewelry), so you may have to request something different.

also, note that many of the "basic" home owners/renters policies will only cover a small dollar amount on electronics/camera gear (as well as jewelry), so you may have to request something different.
when i insured my ring it was a separate rider, a total pain. i only need it for a week, haven't really thought about insuring it outside of this trip although it may not be such a bad idea. i thought that the amount we were paying for my ring was ridiculous so we eventually dropped it. i guess i'm looking for a temporary quick fix for the week :confused:...

An insurance agent should be able to give you options...or maybe call a travel agent and ask what they know about travel insurance and camera gear.

An insurance agent should be able to give you options...or maybe call a travel agent and ask what they know about travel insurance and camera gear.
in the works...hoping to have a solution by monday! :)

General travel insurance is a good idea regardless. The 3 months I spent in Europe cost $200AU (~$125US) and covered everything from illness to any kind of damage to any equipment I had with me. Mind you there was still a several hundred dollar excess payment. But even that is cheaper than a new camera.

Most reactions

Back