Travel lens(?)

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone!
Im currently planning a big trip through Asia, Europe & Africa and i was hoping to get advice on which lens I should get\ take with me. I don't feel comfortable with bringing all 3 of my lenses I currently have and was hoping there was an " all in one" lens out there.
thanks for reading
chelsey

It would help if you said what you already have.

Right! sorry :\ i have the standard 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6G VR & the 55-200mm 1:4-5.6G & a 50 mm 1:1.8 D portrait lens.

Although I have never used one, the Nikon 18-200 is, from what I have read, descent and would make for a nice one lens solution.

In my earlier days, I traded my 18-55 and 50-200 for an 18-200mm. It was the best thing I ever did. Now to be honest, you're going to loose quality when using a super zoom like the 18-200mm but it still takes a decent photo and you don't have to lug a lot of glass around with you. Now me personally, I highly suggest the VRII model (Gold label VR). This model has a lock to keep the glass from sliding down on you. Mine is the older Red VR label that still works great but the lens sliding gets annoying sometimes.

My next suggestion is the 50mm 1.8D. These two lenses was my go to glass for a long time and served me well. The 50mm is about like 72mm on a DX body and is super fast. I would use the 18-200mm during the day and switch to the 50mm 1.8D in the late afternoon to night time.

You see Chelsey when I go on a trip I always take my best lenses, they are these especially for this reason.
When on a trip I want to get the best pictures I can, I fele at my best on trips and my best lenses and camera work very hard.
Sadly they are also faily big and heavy but BOY does it worth it.
Going on a trip with soft comfortable lenses is pointless for me.
But well photography is almost the main reason I go on trips so for me its super important, if you just want to record where you want and get reasonable results then I guess the 18-200 is a fairly nice lens.

You see Chelsey when I go on a trip I always take my best lenses, they are these especially for this reason.
When on a trip I want to get the best pictures I can, I fele at my best on trips and my best lenses and camera work very hard.
But well photography is almost the main reason I go on trips so for me its super important, if you just want to record where you want and get reasonable results then I guess the 18-200 is a fairly nice lens.

Agreed, if these photos are going to be something you're interested in possibly selling in the future, than I would highly recommend something else. The 18-200mm is good travel / vacation lens but if you're looking for better quality walking around lens, than I would suggest something else like a 24-70mm 2.8, 28-70mm 2.8, or a 24-120mm F/4. As Goodguy pointed out, these lenses tend to be heavier and bulkier but their well worth it. Now these lenses can be a bit pricey with the older 28-70mm 2.8 being the cheapest around $700 to the others running $1,200-1,900. You can usually find them used for a little less. A good camera store will also rent these out by the day or week if you don't have the coin to buy one up front.

Totally agree with this post.

The 18 200 is convenient but too much IQ loss for my taste.

My idea of a travel setup is two lenses, not one. Little point to an interchangeable lens system if you leave for an extended period with just one lens. The 18-200 does make sense though, if that fits your needs.

If I wanted to go to Africa, but travel light and bring my d5200, the two lenses I'd probably want are the 35mm 1.8g and the 70-300. But, me being me, I'd bring my 18-35 art, 10-20, and 70-300. Three lenses. If I had more money it'd be something nicer and better than the 70-300.

My idea of a travel setup is two lenses, not one. Little point to an interchangeable lens system if you leave for an extended period with just one lens. The 18-200 does make sense though, if that fits your needs.

If I wanted to go to Africa, but travel light and bring my d5200, the two lenses I'd probably want are the 35mm 1.8g and the 70-300. But, me being me, I'd bring my 18-35 art, 10-20, and 70-300. Three lenses. If I had more money it'd be something nicer and better than the 70-300.
Its so interesting how different people find different set of lenses perfect for them, I love to see how we all have our unique focal length and style we prefer.

For me its 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 and the tiny 50mm 1.8D for low light situation
With the first 2 lenses I am covering myself all the way from 24-200mm which is the range I work in 99% of the time and the fact these are fast lenses means I can use them at all situations except very dark conditions (thats why I "schlep" along my trusted little 50mm 1.8D)

A lot of the work I do is landscaping and cityscapes. So I always pack my 18-35mm and 28-70mm 2.8. I'll occasionally take my 70-200mm 2.8 VRII for more debt of field....i'll toss in my 1.7 TC if i think I'll run across some wildlife.

Now i'm in the process of possibly replacing my 28-70mm. It's been a good lens but I'm thinking about going a little more modern like the 24-70mm or 24-120mm F/4.

I really like my 18-200mm lens, for general shooting its pretty much always on my camera. for birds I throw on my 150-500, in some low light situations Ill put on a f/1.8 lens. for everything else the 18-200 is great IMO

Totally agree with this post.

The 18 200 is convenient but too much IQ loss for my taste.
Yep I'm also in agreement with this. Isn't a trip like this why you have all that camera stuff in the first place?

Most reactions

Back