Travel Lenses

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Shortly planning to travel to London with family. Will visit mostly monuments and other site seeing in the majestic city. Plan to carry 30D with my 28-70 Tameron F/2.8 , 70-200 F/4 Canon. Thinking of buying Sigma 10-20 F/4-5.6. Request views.

My only worry in case of 10-20 type wide lenses is that at times the objects near the edges appear 'funny'...not sure how to explain, like made of card boards. So the wish to make a choice to stick to 28-70 or go for 10-20.

Due to the extreme wide angle of the lens at 10mm ... you will get field curvature occuring at the edges of the frame.
A extreme wide angle is handy to have to capture some scenes ... try not to over use 10mm.

At times I feel handicapped at Temron's 28, any suggestion for going wider without getting into perspective distortion?

Just becuase you have a 10-22, doesnt mean you always have to shoot at 10. I love my Canon 10-22, as the distortion has it place in certain situations. If you keep your camera perpendicular to the subject, it won't distort as much. But the second you tilt your camera up or down (as in look up at buildings), then it will distort more.

You can always look at the Canon 16-35 L lens...a bit expensive,but its a great piece of glass.

Then you have lenses that fall in the range of 17-55 which might suit your needs.

15mm or 16mm ... I use a 16mm f/3.5 prime.
On my Sony a100 thats equivalent to a 24mm Full-Frame.

May be then I will go for Sigma 10-22.
Only disppointment is that to cover the range will need to carry three lenses.
10-22, 28-75, 70-200.

I believe the Sigma is 10-20mm only. The 10-22mm is the Canon EF-S lens.

And Sigma has a new 10-20mm version now which has a constant max. aperture. :)

With your 30D, and only 28mm, you really don't have a wide angle lens,,, the short side at 28mm converts pretty close to the old 50mm for a film DSLR..

But you also don't need to go ultra wide to the 10-22, because you will get distortion..

Why not look into the 17-40L.... It''s a pretty good fit..

You also don't really ever need to "cover" all your focal distances.. The difference between a 40 at the long end of a 17-40, and the 70 at the short end of a 70-200 is really pretty insignificant in practice

Thanks friends, I have one kit lens of 18-55, will stick to it and hope that it will serve for all my wide angle needs to shoot architecture.

For what you are wanting I would say go with Tokina:
Tokina | 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX Autofocus | ATX116PRODXC
This lens has had some great reviews. I want this lens myself for my D80.
It is made for the smalled sensor on non full frame Dslr's and gives a true 11mm-16mm with the ability to shot at f/2.8. (no cropping effect)This lens is great. I tried one out at a local shop and liked it very much. I think you would be very happy with this lens for what you are looking for. When I can afford my next lens this is at the front of the line.
Check it out as I think you will like it.
Cheers.....
Daniel

What about 17-55 f/2.8 IS?

My travel lens for 30D are 17-40L and 70-200L. If I were not planning on FF, I would probably go 17-55 instead of 17-40.

What about 17-55 f/2.8 IS?

My travel lens for 30D are 17-40L and 70-200L. If I were not planning on FF, I would probably go 17-55 instead of 17-40.

That lens would not be bad but he is looking for something with really wide range without to much distortion. The Tokina lens allows for extreme wide range without having much distortion. Tokina made the lens for aps-c and DX sized sensors. It yields a true 11-16 at f/2.8. I have read a lot of reviews on the lens and it gets good marks all around. For really wide angle I would say no to the 17-55 as the 11-16 offers a much wider angle made to fit the smaller sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back