Travel Photography - Monopod or Tripod?

That is survival gear for spring until fall in the tundra/and southern arctic regions. Food for 2 weeks, tent, and all you need plus about 6kg of photographic equipment ... adding up to over 30 kg.

you get used to the pain ;)

Here we go:

packing.jpg

in action: ;)

1290.jpg

That is survival gear for spring until fall in the tundra/and southern arctic regions. Food for 2 weeks, tent, and all you need plus about 6kg of photographic equipment ... adding up to over 30 kg.

you get used to the pain ;)

Here we go:

packing.jpg

in action: ;)

1290.jpg

but your not using your tripod....

but your not using your tripod....

well, how do you think i got that shot of myself? :p

just kidding, there is actually no image showing me using my tripod ever i think. this was bright daylight, short exposure, so no tripod used.

If anyone has excellent advice on backpacking and gear, it's Alex!!!:D

I am sure there are others :)

And I am mainly good at cold-country backpacking. I'd not show good performance in the desert or in similar places ;)

thanks for the quick replies. i forgot to mention--i'm a college student, and am definitely not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a tripod for this trip. most of the trip (a semester-long study abroad) will not focus on photography nor be backpacking. i was looking for a monopod because it would attach much more easily to my backpack. the reason i liked the trekpod go was because the bottom portion expanded out into a tripod.

i use a D200 and have a couple of lenses (70-300 being the largest)

again, here is the type of monopod i'm looking at

http://www.trek-tech.com/products/trekpods.html
the 'go' version

it won't be used as a hiking staff as the first priority.

thanks.

most peole agree that a tripod monopod is a little to unbalanced to really support a DSLR freestanding so you have to keep your hand on it; and at that height of pole I think you lose most of the advantage of having 3 legs as opposed to one.

I understand that it won't have the full stability/features of a full-fledged tripod, but I just want a little extra stability when I need it. most of the time i probably won't even use it, except for when I know i'll need a longer exposure. i'd take a tripod if i could. . .

Look at the height at which the "tripod" section of the trek-pod is compared to the height of the single "neck". Look at the width of teh trek-pod's stance compared to the height. Furthmore, the "legs" of the trek-pod are kept together in monopod position by a velcro strap which doesn't hold firmly.

Give me a good monopod with a ball head. Add two strudy sticks. Strap it all together.. I guarantee you I can "make" a sturdier "tripod" and still have a better monopod.

Look at the height at which the "tripod" section of the trek-pod is compared to the height of the single "neck". Look at the width of teh trek-pod's stance compared to the height. Furthmore, the "legs" of the trek-pod are kept together in monopod position by a velcro strap which doesn't hold firmly.

Give me a good monopod with a ball head. Add two strudy sticks. Strap it all together.. I guarantee you I can "make" a sturdier "tripod" and still have a better monopod.

I'm with you.....don't forget the shock cords.:D

Your need to show your Ferrari.......!!!

I just got back from shooting the sunrise on the peak of Mt. Fugi. It was nothing short of incredible! I would recommend anyone fortunate enough to visit Japan to take it on. It is worth it.

I actually decided on the Gitzo 1540 CF tripod with the 1178M ballhead. This combo is so light its hard to believe. The tripod itself can support 17 lbs, so even in the windy conditions at the top I was able to hang my backbag on the bottom and shield the tripod from the wind to come up with a sharp exposure.
Next year I will be travelling throughout SE Asia in search of temples and sunsets. I have heard that many locales are not tripod friendly.. I had a thought>why not just extend one of the legs and turn that tripod into a monopod. Any thoughts?
The idea of attaching a monopod to a secure item with cords is really good. I think this could be done with heavy duty elastics too.
Thanks to all who responded to my original question!

Colin :)

Backpackers are very serious about the size and weight of what they carry. If he packs a tripod, it will most likely displace something of importance... like what? well.. stove.. cloths.. food.. So making room might not be an option. The first thing we need to know is what camera is being brought along. We need to know how much weight we are discussing.

The local camera shop sells the trek-pod. As much as I like design concept, I wasn't too impressed by the products implimentation. It felt like such a compromise that it didn't do either (walking stick or tripod) very well. Then again, I require a good walking stick for long walks due to an injury. As such, I am biased towards comfort over functionality as a monopod.

Find a monopod/walking stick that makes you comfortable. Many walking staffs at the sporting good stores are equipped with a screw from which you can attach a small ball head. Height adjustment is usually limited but it might be good enough. Some monopods will be ideal functionality wise but too heavy. Your arms will let you know once your miles out in the middle of nowhere. Only you can decide how much comfort you require versus monopod functionality. Then take along some rubber strapes like these: http://www.bongoties.com/. You can create a good platform from which to shoot from by taking your monopod/walking stick and strapping it to a tree, stump, fence, sign post or whatever you find in the woods. You can even create a tripod by strapping another two sticks to your monopod/walking stick (and tilting the head).

For me, I ended up with the Gitzo monotrek. Its design is closer to that of a walking stick rather than a monopod but works very well for me. Unfortunately, you need to be careful of weight ratings which the monotrek is limited to 4lbs. It comes with a small ball head. I made a rubber foot for it for times when I'm walking on pavement (it comes with a fixed steel tip). I also placed some tape at the bottom of the foam handle to keep it from sliding down during humid days.

"I have heard that many locales are not tripod friendly..
I had a thought>
why not just extend one of the legs and turn that tripod
into a monopod. Any thoughts?"

That's the obvious thing to do.

It's also the short way to take a quick shot (for whatever resason),
while still gaining the support of a monopod.

I just got back from shooting the sunrise on the peak of Mt. Fugi. It was nothing short of incredible! I would recommend anyone fortunate enough to visit Japan to take it on. It is worth it.

I had a thought>why not just extend one of the legs and turn that tripod into a monopod. Any thoughts?
The idea of attaching a monopod to a secure item with cords is really good. I think this could be done with heavy duty elastics too.

Great!! Glad you had a good trip.

Yes.. you can extend a tripod's legs and use it a monopod. Works just fine.

Btw... The Gitzo 1540 is one of the best tripods for lightweight traveling... congrats on your purchase. The problem with it is that it is out of the budget for so many people. Me .. I've been saving for the 1550T. Even lighter than the 1540 but does not have the capacity.

Most reactions

Back