TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHY PRICING!

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by ironsidephoto, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I may be getting an offer from a large corporation to travel to other countries and take photos of factory conditions. They'd fly me there, put me up, etc. However, I need to figure out how much I should charge them so they can give me an offer.

Any ideas on how I should price this? By the day? How much? I'd just be giving them all the photos for corporate use.

Thanks for your ideas...I'll need them.

2. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The usual method is to charge for time plus photos used. Any photos not chosen along with related rights belong to the photographer.

You then go in and do a massive shoot in the location of both what your client wants and what you might possibly use in the future.

skieur

3. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's useful. I've never done any sort of corporate work like this, so I don't know what the rights are to the photos afterwards...

Any idea what the going rate per hour is for work like this? It may or may not be dangerous in these places, and they know that I'm both a student and a not-yet-but-maybe-soon-to-be professional.

4. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anyone else? I'd really like to get a lot of opinions on this. What would you do in this situation with your experience level?

5. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You would need to know more about the job in order to cost it. How much time and effort is necessary to get to the particular location of the factory and are you going to encounter "opposition" regarding the doumentation of conditions? How easy or difficult are the shooting conditions going to be? Large factory areas with strong shadows or very low light may be a challenge to shoot. How many shots are wanted and for what kind of distribution? Will it be necessary to document details and locations in writing for each shot?

In television work there are set standards for on location work, as in quality of accommodations, food, transportation, number of hours, breaks for meals etc. These all need to be discussed and agreed to and written up in a formal contract. Also you want a direct pay process for expenses and NOT later reimbursement. A company credit card or prepaid expenses by the corporation is necessary.

There are a considerable number of other details and variables involved that enter into any costing and it is individual to the particular project.

skieur

6. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks!

7. scorpion_tyr

scorpion_tyr No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just an idea, but maybe you can charge them a per diem rate, or a certain amount of money per day depending on your location. This can be used for food, transportation, etc and you can choose if you wish to include your lodging or not. For an idea of how much to charge you can see what the US Military pays their people per day when they travel.

Per Diem Rates

8. ironsidephoto

ironsidephoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very interesting, scorpion. They're paying airfaire/lodging, but I don't know about food yet...I'll find out on Friday.

9. SusanMart

SusanMart TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Will they pay you for the session or successful shots?

I think this is the first thing to decide.

It's important whether you make like 20000 shots (as a session) and get money, or just 5 great pics are fine.

Settle down with this first, and then it'll be clearer

10. bennielou

bennielou TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do destination weddings, and here is how I price it.

Normal rate
    Plus boarding for dogs
    Plus the cost of a house sitter for the Koi
    Travel
    Per Diem
    Car Rental
    Luggage costs.

Hope that helps.

11. bennielou

bennielou TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

People always pay for a successful shot. In the commercial world that is all that matters. It's not about sessions in the commercial business. It's about that "zing" shot that sells stuff.

12. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are talking about two different things. What to charge? What rights you have to the photos?

You own the copyright to every image unless you are working under a work-for-hire contract. Under work-for-hire, you have no rights whatsoever. The images belong to the company.

In the other case, your own the copyrights but that doesn't mean you can use the photos. You need to read up on copyright and usage law.

As far as pay is concerned, from what I understand of what you would be doing, I would charge a day fee plus all expenses not directly covered by them. Food is one of them although, keep in mind that if you were home you still would be eating and no one would pay for it. Meaning you may not want to charge for the total of that cost. A set per day food fee is better.

What those fees are depend entirely on your experience, your name value, how badly you want the job, etc, etc.

Usage fees are separate and they are determined by the usage. A photo used for a nationwide billboard campaign will have a much higher usage fee than one used in a newsletter read by a few hundred people.

Those are things that joining a pro organization (ASMP is one) can help you figure out while very hard to do here through a thread. Too many variables to cover everything in a few posts.

Good luck though.