Travel Photography...

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm starting to piece together a fairly large trip going from India, through Nepal, Thailand and the South Pacific. The itinirary is pretty fuzzy at the moment as the planning has just started. I'm still pretty young (23) and I'm trying to get out and see as much as I can while I'm still in my twenties (before marriage and kids and all that).

Anyways, I'd like to be able to sell some of the Pictures I'd be taking for use in travel publications, and I was curious if anyone has experience doing this sort of thing? I feel like I'm really developing as a photographer and by the time the trip actually happens I will be significantly better. I'm just curious if you attempt to sell the pictures on your return, or is there a way to find out what a travel publication might need in terms of pictures and places? It would just be nice to recoup some of the (enormous sum of) money that a trip of this size would cost me. I'll probably contact Lonely Planet and a few other of the big name publications and see what they suggest, as well as get a portfolio together.

So, any advice on the matter would be awesome.

the big ones usually have already a lot of images on the regions they sell guidbooks for.

and my experience with local tavel agencies is, that they prefer to use cheap crap images than very good images. but maybe this is only for budget travel agencies.

I never seriously tried to sell anything though. which means i did not try hard.

Have you looked at the Photographers Market book? It has a lot of info about selling to various venues.

Most reactions

Back