Travel Photography

Ditch the whole lot and get a Rollieflex TLR and a hand held meter. Really.

If you want to go wide then after you have scanned the shots them you can stitch them together in photoshop. If you want to go long then you can just crop- MF film is da bomm when it comes to being able to crop and still get resolution.

Dust doesn't really present a problem, just shake the camera out once in a while. :)

And the biggie, nobody is going to knock you in the head over a TLR- heck, next to no one will even know what it is. If you want candids, you can turn it sideways and still focus and shoot. Nobody knows a thing. ;) (might be nice when you want to shoot some lady and not get beat up if you know what I mean)

Have a safe trip, I know you'll enjoy it!

Welcome in my friend to the show that never ends. Step inside, step inside. :D

The 1~5 in post #2 sound pretty cool.

I wonder if they sell a trashy looking skin for your camera so it will draw even less attention? That would be extra-neat-o!

Last edited:
Depending on what it was you were wanting to photograph, I'd take something like a 28-80mm lens.

Honestly the only lens I take when I go travelling is my 10 - 22mm EF-S lens.

It's amazing for street photography - when you're in busy cities, and it's great for landscapes, family portraits with the 'whatever' location behind.

the 24 - 70 is just too 'blah' and heavy for holiday snaps I find.

True story... I thought that I carried around a lot. A couple weeks ago, I went to the Botanical Gardens here in Montreal and met a guy that had a biggger backpack on him AND made his girlfriend carry around one too, and it was all his equipment... lol

Thats an excellent example of over-enthusiasm! :lol:

ahahhaha.. thats funny.

If I made my wife carry my stuff, she'd probably just dump it in the next trash bin and say "what did you want me to do?" :lol:

Welcome in my friend to the show that never ends. Step inside, step inside. :D

The 1~5 in post #2 sound pretty cool.

I wonder if they sell a trashy looking skin for your camera so it will draw even less attention? That would be extra-neat-o!

They do make black neoprene covers for white canon L series lenses, which may be a great idea all around for traveling.

I have found that my 28-70mm f2.8 lens is really great for taking pictures while traveling. It does not work well in really narrow environments, but does a reasonably good job for most settings.

I have found that I seldom use an external flash. Generally it is either not bright enough eg cannot light a cathedral or inappropriate to use eg should not light a cathedral.

I have carried a monopod. I think a good clamp with an good head would be better. The monopod is not enough stabilization for really long exposures or under winding conditions.

Most reactions

Back