Travel Photography

x highhand17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going to France, Italy, Switz, and Croatia in about 9 days. I'm going with my dad and we have where we're going planned down to the dot, but I was reading somewhere that you should plan your pictures ahead of time as well and be very meticoulous. I was hoping to just walk through the streets and the sights with my d80 and get some good shots.
Is all the planning really worth it?
I'd love to hear some feedback.

Also if anyone here has been to Tuscany and has any opinions on things NOT to miss, please share your opinion. :D

If you do not exactly know what chances for images you have to expect, planning in detail is rather futile IMHO.

If I know a place, or know a lot about it before going there, I plan some shots, yes, if not, I just take all my gear and look for chances.

Sometimes, if my travel allow for it, I revisit places to get the perfect light for a scene.

If you don´t know what you want to shoot...

I suggest you give it some thought...what type of shots do you enjoy? Think about shots you have seen or photographers whose work and style interests you...research a little on these.

In addition, do some specific research on the areas
1) find out what significant sights and sites are there where you are going (historical buildings for example)
2) look up (google) some local photographers and see what they shoot...maybe will inspire you a bit

Make sure you know what the weather is doing, and where the light comes from at all times of the day...it will help you to be "in the right place at the right time".
As Alex says, be prepared to go back for a better shot if possible.

Make sure you have enough battery power and memory chips (or film if that´s your thing)

Google should be your best friend. :sexywink: I'd research one or two places to shoot at each city so you're more likely to get a few decent shots aside from the ad hoc ones.

revisiting makes a big difference for me!

but since your not at these locations with shooting in mind just keep your camera with you, and don't walk away without the shot you want!

Something I was recently enlightened to...
If you have a particular location or shot that you plan to get...it really helps if you know the time of day when the light is best. This way, you can plan to be there at the right time of day. This may not be practical when you are travelling through several countries in a few days...but it might help you plan your itinerary.

okay, thanks everyone, i will buckle up and do some research

I would find out what key attractions there are and leave it at that...being meticulous can also loose you Spontaneity which can also loose you opportunities. Your best bet is to find a balance between planned and unplanned so that you don't miss the expected attractions but at the same time miss the don't loose the once in a life time shots either.

Example don't go to Paris and not shoot the Eiffel tower but don't miss the quaint little store front of the little cafe you and your dad ate at either. :)

Something I was recently enlightened to...
If you have a particular location or shot that you plan to get...it really helps if you know the time of day when the light is best. This way, you can plan to be there at the right time of day. This may not be practical when you are travelling through several countries in a few days...but it might help you plan your itinerary.

Good advice!
If that doesn't work or if it is a subject that has been done and done, and redone again, you also might not be discouraged if the weather, sky, or any other non controlled element comes into play. Sometimes the best way to make a shot stand out is to take a picture under unusual circumstances to frame it in a different light then normally viewed. For example when your subject has been photograph from nearly every conceivable angle under the perfectly normal settings a weird sky, or a time of day with long shadows, be creative with your subjects surroundings :)

I would suggest a polarizing filter or graduated neutral density filter for dealing with bright skies and darker foreground areas. I also find an adjustable pocket digital camera with an f2.8 lens invaluable for some shooting situations too.

skieur

but I was reading somewhere that you should plan your pictures ahead of time as well and be very meticulous.

Maybe for a pro who needs certain shots.
For a tourist, just get a general idea what's going on and then keep your eyes open.

(In my trips, meticulous planning never works out; I'm happy if I can get to the plane home on time.)

One thing to consider though; dirt is just dirt, it's the people who make it a foreign land. Be sure to try and capture a sense of the culture while you are taking shots of the landscape.

mike

how about that, my 900th post and it's about dirt being dirt. ;)

Most reactions

Back