Travel Zoom Or Mirrorless

hoyoyo80

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi...im new here so greeting!!!

Im also new to photography, but started to like to take photos, i mean purposely going out to take photos with my huawei mate 9 phone..

But lately im thinking on extending the hobby, i mean on getting better skills and image quality than my smartphone.

So im asking which of these two is beginner friendly and better to learn in long run.
Im eyeing on Canon SX730 and Nikon J5. Canon sx730 because of built in zoom lens and Nikon J5 for better sensor(?) but...but...lens are quite expensive.

So i hope im asking the right thing to help my decision.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I don't suggest either of them. If you really want Mirrorless for the same price get the Sony A5000. Much better sensor performance over the Nikon. Basicaly a full step up in corlor rendition, full stop better in dynamic range (ability to show difference between light and dark), and much much better in low light. It's only downfall is it's monitor has 1/2 the resolution. For that reason and for the same price you can get a Nikon D3400 and a lens. Even better performance than the Sony A5000. A full step up from the Sony in color rendition, a full step up again in dynamic range, and about 1/3 step up in low light capabilities. But the D3400 will be slightly bigger. Lots of lens choices, and easy to learn on. Room to expand to many areas of photography. I have the previous model the D3300 for my work travel camera. I also have larger more capable cameras as well. But I still use the D3300. Forgot to mention the D3400 will have much much better battery life than the Mirrorless cameras.

Welcome to the forum. Usually in photography, the novice buys an inexpensive, (by comparison), P&S. Uses it for a year or so and get frustrated by the controls and camera response when the subjects are moving. Then they purchase an entry level dSLR with the cheap kit lens ... then a cheap 8x or 10x zoom. As the photog's proficiency and knowledge increases, so too their interest and love of photography. Then they buy a mid-range camera and mid-range lenses and finally they end up with a prosumer camera and a few top level lenses. If you think you have or will have a passion for photography, you can save a lot of time and monies by skipping all the intermediary steps and start out with good gear.

I've heard people say that camera bodies are like spouses ... after a few years you gotta get a divorce and upgrade. But good glass are like children and you keep them for a lifetime.

Modern digital sensors are so good that you will not be able to distinguish an image from a manufacturer's entry level camera from an image captured with flagship camera. (Unless it is enlarged way way up or shot in very very low light.)

Mirrorless and dSLR's use similar sensors and lenses. The physical differences is that a mirrorless is significantly smaller than a dSLR because it has traded off a 'mirrorbox' for a Tv screen. Camera performance wise, mirrorless has progressed to a point where there is very little difference using a mirrorless and using a dSLR. In the past shooting action with a mirrorless was difficult and problematic. But a mirrorless, which performs on the same level as a dSLR are expensive and not priced as attractively as dSLR's.

I hope I haven't muddied up the water for you.

Neither. The J5 is a dead system.
Get an OMD EM10 ii
In the world of lenses, quite expensive starts around a grand.

I certainly recommend a mirrorless for travel. That and a modest wide to tele zoom lens should serve you well. The highest quality mirrorless are the Fujifilm but they aren't cheap. Sony is very popular and has an extensive system with it. I think it is probably the largest in the mirrorless business. Olympus is also a good choice but I would put it in third place. Canon and Nikon are in the DSLR business. They haven't embraced mirrorless and it shows in their product line. They are really competing against mirrorless.

All the negatives you hear about mirrorless are appropriate 10 years ago. Todays mirrorless models can do anything a DSLR can do and do it in a smaller, lighter package. How do I know? After 1/2 century of SLR and DSLR photography, I'm exclusively mirrorless. Gary A provided some good comments for you. I would pay attention to them. He uses both.

I would like to add that the Fujifilm cameras are very simple to use.

I certainly recommend a mirrorless for travel. That and a modest wide to tele zoom lens should serve you well. The highest quality mirrorless.

I would also recommend a mirrorless camera for travel - small & lightweight .... and can easily use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Hi all..ive read all ur comment and settle down for a5100 with defaults lens+55-200mm lens. Hope it is a good choice for starter....thanks

Good choice. The APS-C sensor will provide excellent images. Enjoy the trip.

For getting started a used slr can be good with a 18-55mm kit lens and maybe a 35mm/50mm prime. Zoom lens are usefull but fixed lens will help you develop technical skills.

you can develop the same technical skill on a zoom lens.

Yeah but zooming and walking to the subject is different. When zooming the new focal lenght changes the depth of field.

so does walking closer/further from a subject...

No I mean the number on the lens for example 55-200mm increasing it reduces the depth of field by the factor of 2, increasing the object distance increases it, but only expensive zoomlens can keep a constant f number all the way. Point and shoots with built in optical zoom has a very big difference in f number like f/2.5-4.5.

the DOF is going to change even if the F-stop stays constant throughout the zoom range.

Most reactions

Back