austriker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dlindahlphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi there,

so coming up here in january i am studying abroad through my school's program in guatemala. i am really looking forward to it, learning the culture and being immersed in a español. i just upgraded from a d40 to a d300 and i really would like to bring a camera to take photos. i am thinking about bringing my d40 or an old P/S.. HOWEVER if i can get traveler's insurance than i would LOVE to bring my d300..my friend told me his friend got traveler's insurance for his DLSR when he went to africa. state farm is my insurance company and i looked over their website but couldnt find anything about this.

what do you guys think? have you traveled to a third world country with a nice DSLR? Who offers travelers insurance and should i use it on my d300?

I would call State Farm and ask them. I don't think I would travel to a country like that without insurance.

Yup, just call them up. They will have much better info that we will have ;)

My homeowner's insurance covers my possessions, even if I take them on vacation...or so they say.

okay. sounds like a plan..
the only hitch is that i am a college student therefore i dont really have homeowners insurance. so hopefully i can be 'protected' under my parents plan..

They could probably give you a quote for a short term traveling policy...or maybe you could just get a policy on your specific gear.

As a college student look into renter's insurance, insures all the belongings you own in your place.
N.gif

I travel to third world countries frequently, and usually try to get travelers' insurance, although I'm not always consistent with this! :D

But as the crime rate for Guatemala is unfortunately infamous - a pity since that's a gorgeous country with a vibrant culture - I would definitely look into getting it. You can probably get it insured for a relatively small fee under travelers' insurance companies or by calling your parents' insurance company.

It's not even third world countries. I suggest anyone travelling should have travelling insurance. Shop around though. My last trip overseas (France, Austria, Czech, Canada, and the UAE) I received quotes between $900AU and $230AU (About $750US and $190US) all for the same insurance.

Travel insurance will typically cover a lot of things at once, the most important would be yourself. It's all good and fine to cry about a D300, but if you get two broken legs during the robbery and have to be carted for a 2 week stay in hospital, believe me if you survive then the bill will kill you. Typically you get a financial coverage for different items such as $2000 max on the claim of a laptop, $2000 max on the claim of a camera, $1000 on jewellery, $20000 on hospital, etc, these numbers are made up but you get the idea.

My camera is insured separately but I still take travel insurance when I leave the country since medicare, and other health insurance then no longer cuts it.

I have travelled and lived without assurance with eos300 years ago in Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia... in Asia i feel safe and confortable but i will not in Africa or Southamerica beter get an assurance there.

i just insured my gear for when i go to jamaica in 2 weeks. $11 for $5000 coverage. not exactly a bank breaker

i just insured my gear for when i go to jamaica in 2 weeks. $11 for $5000 coverage. not exactly a bank breaker

Who did you use? What is the deductible?

I go to Jamaica twice a year and just pray for the best with my gear......$11 is cheaper than replacing everything for at least $5000.

Most reactions

Back