traveling out of the country

budskiphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So Im taking a much needed vacation overseas and of course want to take some of my gear. I was planning on carrying my d100 and a lens on the plane with me because I know how they handle luggage, should I expect any issues getting on the plane, or at customs?

Its a grey area as it does differ from country to country and airport to airport.
There are a few common tips - such as wearing your camera round your neck on the strap with the lens attached - that way it does not get weighed for hand luggage ;)
Also some people wear large coats or photographers vests with kit in the pockets - and again this gets through.

But I would also make sure that you know the limits - how much you are over them and have the cash ready in case they do make you add the weight - that way least you have some extra pocket money if they don't and if they do you are ready.

If you have to put stuff in the hold then a tripod in a good bag should be fine - but cameras and lenses are a more risky thing - Pelican cases are well recommended as secure and safe packaging if you have to place a lens in the hold. Not cheap, but far better protection. Also make sure insurance is up to date for both theft, airport luggage loss and damage incase the worst should happen

well I have my photo backpack thats super thick, but I was going to use it as my carry on... and risk of damaging the camera running through the xray? I know film doesnt like it

oh and im going to the virgin islands (UK) if that changes anything.

digital is perfectly safe from X-rays in an airport so no worries their. Check your bad size and weight limits for handluggage though - make sure to check limits/restrictions at both ends before you leave, I know that the UK lot went mad with safty limits (though they are relaxed a bit now) at one point you could not fly with handluggage larger than a womens handbag.

I travel all the time (work for airline) nearly 400,000 frequent flyer miles on other carriers other than my own (0 on them :lol:). Just carry your camera backpack. Unless you have a good pelican type case, do not send it baggage!!! X-rays will only fog high speed film (over 800). No issues with computers or cameras. Security wise they only want to see video cameras out for some reason (laptops too), still cameras can stay in bag. Leave lens cleaning fluid at home. They will take it. Unless its less than 3oz and in a clear container. They may want to look in your camera bag as sometimes lenses don't come out good on the x-ray machine. No biggie just takes a couple seconds.

One thing I do, when going to areas where I am not quite sure. I cover over the nikon / canon on my bodies (I don't have any branded straps). I just use a piece of black electrical tape.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back