Traveling with another photographer

jbabra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm an amateur photographer and I'm planning on traveling to Asia with one of my best friends, who is a professional photographer. I started to wonder if photographing together on the trip might lead to some competitiveness and conflict. I imagine there might be a time where he think I should back off something since he takes it more seriously than me.

Has anyone had any experience traveling with another photographer?

You can surely be of help to one another, but each of you has to be sensitive to the other needing some space, and give it to them.

4 eyes are always better than 2 when finding the out of the ordinary or particular view. If this person is really a friend. You will have a great trip. And they being a professional should not matter unless he is going for an assignment and its for work. That would be a different story. But if your both going for pleasure. The it should not matter if he is a pro or not!

I agree with jeep, and didn't catch the fact that they are a pro - that can be even better for you.

You will probably learn a TON from them...

But since they are getting paid, you might have to defer to what they need sometimes during the trip.

As long as he is ok with you shooting when he is shooting, and you are ok with him shooting when you are shooting, then its all good.

I love doing photography with other photographers. Not a bunch, but 1-2 others is great. We bounce ideas off each other, discuss shots, angles and what not. Keeping the communication going is great.

I have spotted shots where all photographers took a stab and others got better results than I did. Great way to learn and be able to see the same thing through someone else's eyes

I just want to mention that this is a leisure trip for both of us, so you are correct that this is not work and neither of us are being paid.

I thought another approach would be to have a goal in mind, like making a project out of it. Something that could be a collaborative work.

Most of all, I want to make sure that we have a great trip with no tension.

Take two photographers and show them the same sight at the same time and often as not both will see it a slightly different way and come back witha different shot. Sure if your both going on a holiday and photography is a passion for you both then yes your going to compete a little when it comes to shooting. I would be amazed if you didn't vie with each other a little. Just as long as you both keep your heads straight and stick to the fun side I can't see anything really being a problem at all.

The only thing to remember is that its a holiday for you both - not a free tutoring session for yourself. By all means ask questions such but do try and keep a check on yourself that your not forcing him to stop shooting every 5 seconds to help you change your ISO or some other little thing (just as an example). Tht way you both get to relax

If they are truly your best friend, then you will help one another and there should be no jealousy. If you are concerned about this, talk about it prior to the trip and have some code words you can use when one of you is feeling ackward, pushed or resentment.

It's tougher when you travel w/friends and close family.

The other guy is a professional, likely knows a lot more than you do.

Spend the day picking his mind, then buy him lunch or dinner to say "thanks"

Have a GREAT trip!

I suspect that I am probably the only one here, who has shot with a very particular and perfectionist type pro: my mother and when we have competed, we have come very close to equal.

skieur

I started to wonder if photographing together on the trip might lead to some competitiveness and conflict.
Are you in competition? It's great that you value his work but why should you not get your shot? He is a pro b/c he does this for a living (I assume). You are an amateur b/c you are doing this for kicks. He can teach you a lot, I'm sure, but by you asking Qs and so-to-speak challenging his skills (pushing him in a way to become better) you both will succeed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back