Treading lightly

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, this is my first image over here in this forum. :er: This shot has been floating around in the black and white forum for a few days and I thought I'd post it over here.

This was shot on Efke ASA 50 film with my K1000, developed in Diafine, and enlarged on Arista.edu glossy RC paper. It was scanned directly from the print with no post processing done with my computer.

Yay or nay?

Oh, and it's called "Unblinking Eye," which I know isn't very good, but it's the best I could do. I once titled a drawing "25 or 6-24" in high school art because I couldn't think of anything better! :lol:

img107.jpg

Its blurry, but that could be because you scanned a print. It seems like a part of the bumper is in focus and the rest isn't, in that case you need more DOF. Taking a second look at it i think all you need is to close your aperture some. It looks cropped and I'd like to see the un-cropped version. It also seems a tad bit underexposed, and is lacking in contrast. I like the shot idea.

Its blurry, but that could be because you scanned a print. It seems like a part of the bumper is in focus and the rest isn't, in that case you need more DOF. Taking a second look at it i think all you need is to close your aperture some. It looks cropped and I'd like to see the un-cropped version. It also seems a tad bit underexposed, and is lacking in contrast. I like the shot idea.

Thanks. Once you think you've got a finished print...:lol:

I'll bring it back in a few weeks. Thanks for looking everyone.

Kind of off topic, but how do you like the Arista.edu paper? I saw it was cheap as hell and was going to pick a 100 pack up. Likes/dislikes?

Arista.EDU is rebranded Forte VC.

Kind of off topic, but how do you like the Arista.edu paper? I saw it was cheap as hell and was going to pick a 100 pack up. Likes/dislikes?

I dunno. I've never really tried anything else. Well, when I first started out I used Ilford RC VC pearl paper. And if you think I suck now, just imagine me then! :lmao: Seriously, though, it had nothing to do with the paper. ;)

I'm ordering a mess of stuff from Freestyle once I get back from San Francisco. Foma, Ilford, Freestyle, etc. I'll post some results in the general forum once I get something.

Word. I've just been looking for some good, but extremely cheap papers cause I'm broke.

I like the texture. It's nice and crusty.

I'd prefer to see the focus tighter on the right edge of the car to make it standout against the background's DOF drop off. Or maybe even just burn it in some more. Something to really make the automobile concrete in relation to, and distinct from, the environment.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the whole "no post processing done with my computer" idea. Each medium has its own needs according to its physical properties. What you saw through the lens is a very different image from what the film recorded, which is different from what the print recorded, which is different from what the scanner recorded, which is different from what your monitor displays, which is different from what my monitor displays.

Most reactions

Back