Treestortion C&C (BESP)

fast eddie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Our assignment this week is to create an image using a reflection. The subject is the object in the reflection.
It is important that the surface distorts the subject - but not be obvious what the reflective surface is.

Here's my take, please let me know what you like, dislike, or that I could improve upon.

Sidenote: This was the first shoot with my new 35mm prime. So far I love it!

Image info:
35mm
F1.8
ISO - 400
1/4000 sec

Treestortion
4503371628_f7da5e32cc_o.jpg

Thanks for your feedback.

Fast Eddie

I know this is more abstract, but does anybody want to give their thoughts on the image?

Well I'm always into abstract and I think this work is worth praise.
What I can recommend:
Well, recommending on abstract is quite a deal. Maybe having more reflection?
Or turning into portrait?
Anyway, it's still great.

And please forgive the TPF members. If they don't react it doesn't mean the photo's bad.

Sure, I'll give it a go. But let me say first that I have no idea whatsoever how Bitter's school works so if it was not what you expected, don't blame me :lol:

As a photo standing on its own two feet, I find it boring.

As a result of an assignment, it fits the assignment. To a tee. But it is still boring and there is nothing that says that it should be. Don't forget the vision thing no matter what the situation is. Family and vacation times are the only exceptions to this rule of mine.

I'm guessing the reflective surface is water. I'm also guessing it's contained in a bird bath although I can't explain the gray rings...

In short, very successful as far as the assignment is concerned but a lot less as far as standing on its own two feet. Keep on learning. It will come to you.

And I believe Bitter can teach quite a bit so don't give up on his school no matter what the responses to your photos are on the forum.

Ok I'll give it a shot, but keep in mind I'm going only off what appeals to me and not at all anything technical...

I wish there was more definition between the edge of the pond (bird feeder) and the green? I think by doing that, you have 3 solid levels of "subject." You'd have the green, then the water, and then the reflection of the tree. How it seems to me now is that you have a lot of blur, very pretty colors, and then a tree in the middle.

Moreso than the tree trunk, what I really like is the leaves that are reflected. I think that part is just gorgeous!

I really like the reflection of the tree. Very crisp. It's interesting that you have a bare tree on one side and a full leafy one on the other. The circular pattern from your reflective surface also adds interest and makes the image feel more abstract.

I do find the Green part at the top a little distracting, probably because the rest of the colors are somewhat subdued but then there's this bright, bold, green mass along the top of the frame grabbing my attention.

I think you nailed the project. Boring... na, I have enjoyed it.
Thanks

To me, the reflection itself isn't interesting. I do like the concentric circles and the green background, but perhaps would like to see something more interesting being reflected.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I can see how the grass is distracting and the rings might do more to obscure the subject as I'd hoped. I wanted to use these elements to add interest and frame but not take over. I will remember this in the future.

Here's a shot of my reflective surface (utility cover).

4506737678_f2abcdc9ba_o.jpg

Thanks again!
Fast Eddie

The bright green grass draws my eye away from the intended subject. Does it have to be in color? This might look very interesting in black & white.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back