Tried Canon 5D2

phototrek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I tried the new Canon 5D2 at my local photo store and have a question for those who have used it. I noticed that when you take a picture it doesn't sound like a camera shutter moving like a film camera. I know that on some cameras you can change how it sounds when you press the shutter button. I compared it with the Nikon D700 and the D700 sounds like a camera. The guy at the photo store says that is the way it sounds and can't be changed. Is this true? Also, do you think I should wait a couple of months and see what new Canon cameras would be anounced. I know that if I want a full frame it will be the 5D2 or the new 1D camera which could be twice the cost of the 5D2.

I wish i was there to see this persons face when you asked him if there was a way to change the sound of the camera.

I'd hold out. I heard rumors of the the shutter sound on the new 1d camera is going to be amazing.

* No... shutter "noise" is the mechanical mirror box moving and the shutter tripping. I personally think it sounds a bit quieter than the previous 5D and thus an improvement.
Why would you want it to sound different????

* 5D M2 just came out.... trying to join the rat race of technology eh? If you can't shoot with the 5DM2, the M3 version isn't going to make you shoot better....

I second the "soft" shutter. My 20D sounded like an angry child slamming the door close. The loud clicks just draw attention. I'm still trying to figure out why Olympus put a shutter noise in my new Pen E-P1.

I saw the images the 5DMKII produces and honestly woul dnot care if it sounded like a chainsaw. :) It rocks and I will own one next month.

I guess I am just used to the sound of the Canon 1V camera. I just like the sound of the shutter moving.

I've shot the 5D Mk II and I must say the shutter rocks. It seems less turbulent then the original 5D that I have which is good thing because the more they design to reduce shake in actuations the better. I know some shooters who love a particular sound of the shutter but I wouldn't chose an investment based on shutter sound.

I love the way my 5DMk2 sounds. I just love the camera, period. Shutter sound, seriously? It sounds completely different than my 1D, but I actually like the 5D's better.

I don't think I'll ever buy a camera based on the way the shutter sounds... unless it sounds like breaking glass or something... then I might avoid it. Fart noises would be cool. They should do that.

Yeah, you guys are right about the sound, just nit picking. Anyway, should I buy the camera now or wait to see what new cameras will be announced by Canon in August or September? I can wait a few more months.

One other question. When trying the camera I noticed my nose hitting the LCD screen and leaving a smudge. I know I will use the view finder 100% of the time in taking photos. Is there a way to extend the view finder so my nose will not hit the screen? I know plastic surgery might help. :mrgreen:

You have got to be kidding, right? You are making a decision to purchase a camera based on it's SOUND???

Uhhmm... ok, I am going to move on to the next thread before I say something funny or not so funny. :)

Most reactions

Back