Tried Canon 5D2

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by phototrek, Jul 30, 2009.

1. phototrek

phototrek TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tried the new Canon 5D2 at my local photo store and have a question for those who have used it. I noticed that when you take a picture it doesn't sound like a camera shutter moving like a film camera. I know that on some cameras you can change how it sounds when you press the shutter button. I compared it with the Nikon D700 and the D700 sounds like a camera. The guy at the photo store says that is the way it sounds and can't be changed. Is this true? Also, do you think I should wait a couple of months and see what new Canon cameras would be anounced. I know that if I want a full frame it will be the 5D2 or the new 1D camera which could be twice the cost of the 5D2.

2. Ebag17

Ebag17 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I wish i was there to see this persons face when you asked him if there was a way to change the sound of the camera.

I'd hold out. I heard rumors of the the shutter sound on the new 1d camera is going to be amazing.

3. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In my opinion... who cares what it sounds like as long as it takes good pictures

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    * No... shutter "noise" is the mechanical mirror box moving and the shutter tripping. I personally think it sounds a bit quieter than the previous 5D and thus an improvement.
    Why would you want it to sound different????

* 5D M2 just came out.... trying to join the rat race of technology eh? If you can't shoot with the 5DM2, the M3 version isn't going to make you shoot better....

5. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I second the "soft" shutter. My 20D sounded like an angry child slamming the door close. The loud clicks just draw attention. I'm still trying to figure out why Olympus put a shutter noise in my new Pen E-P1.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I too was trying to figure that out in the store.

My best guess is that the camera was designed in part by the P&S group of Olympus....

7. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I saw the images the 5DMKII produces and honestly woul dnot care if it sounded like a chainsaw. :) It rocks and I will own one next month.

8. phototrek

phototrek TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess I am just used to the sound of the Canon 1V camera. I just like the sound of the shutter moving.

9. camz

camz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've shot the 5D Mk II and I must say the shutter rocks. It seems less turbulent then the original 5D that I have which is good thing because the more they design to reduce shake in actuations the better. I know some shooters who love a particular sound of the shutter but I wouldn't chose an investment based on shutter sound.

10. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the way my 5DMk2 sounds. I just love the camera, period. Shutter sound, seriously? It sounds completely different than my 1D, but I actually like the 5D's better.

I don't think I'll ever buy a camera based on the way the shutter sounds... unless it sounds like breaking glass or something... then I might avoid it. Fart noises would be cool. They should do that.

11. smyth

smyth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I could just imagine that at Presidential press conferences....:lol:

12. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Isn't that the sound Nikon makes? I could have swore I read that somewhere... :lol::lmao: