Tried my hand at 35mm...

Pixel9ine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My foray into digital photography hs led me full-circle.. I've 'graduated' to shooting film with a recently-gifted 1976 Canon AE-1. I ran a roll of B/W film through it just for fun and to test it out.. hence my apologies for there not being an overall 'theme' to my series as it's more random than anything.

Ironically, starting with an advanced digital P&S has got me comfortable with a film SLR... I'm loving it. I really like the look I get when I walk into a camera shop and the older man at the counter sees a guy in his twenties holding a camera that's approaching 30. ;)

On to the pics..
BMO.jpg

Canon.jpg

Chevron.jpg

Intricate.jpg

Patchy.jpg

Portrait1.jpg

#6 was slightly PS'd with a touch of dodge & burn and a greenish/reddish tone added.. I didn't want sepia, but turned out pretty close anyway.

C&C requested... OTE!

LOL I know the feeling. I use a 1974 Pentax and I'm from '71 myself.
Nr 1 is my favorite.
Nr 2 is funny: Canon theatre shot with your new old Canon. Too bad it's a little out of focus.
Great shots, I like the portrait. Nice lighting.

Funny to be hearing you say this, Croesus.
While I have started taking photos with a Rollei35 (not quite point-and-shoot, I had to manually adjust f-stop and speed - hope those are the right words :scratch: ??? ), I have used my husband`s very simple SLR for a while until I got my own in 1999. It is the Canon EOS500N that you can see in my signature. I am still using it.

Then all the world went digital and I thought: I want to go with them. So after I was allowed to use the swim clubs (old) digital camera for a while, I got myself my own on the day I had to hand back the other (see signature, too, it's a CanonPowershot A95).

And I am quite happy with it. But want to go further, too, and am very much hoping for my inbuilt Father Christmas (aka husband) to have collected enough hints to give me one for Christmas ;) ;) ;) ;) ;).

And yet: when I discovered our father's old Leica M5 (rangefinder I think that one is, if that is the correct word? In German it is Mess-Sucher-Kamera ;)), I very much wanted to try out again what it is like to go very much "back to the roots".

Not that I am any good at it as yet. It is the full circle, believe me! And I am still stumbling about with that tool, knowing fairly little of what I am doing. And the first film was a disappointment, mostly so, however, because it was lab processed and printed on colour paper, so the photos all lack fearfully much in contrasts (which could, however, also be my fault, I don't know). Anyhow: I know the feeling :D.

Now to your photos (my god, am I in rambling mode tonight or what?):
I think my favourite is that wooden door because of the contrasting textures of the stone wall and the finely grained wood plus the metal of the hinges.

The Canon Theatre photo looks very pixelated, how come?

And I do like the portrait!

Nice DOF in all of them.

:lol: It's funny how, more and more these days, I am reading this kind of thing about people "graduating" into film. It still carries the magic - I don't care what anybody says.

I really like the top one - very dramatic! :thumbup: I am guessing you hand-held the camera for these shots; if you'd had a tripod for the second you probably would have gotten a sharper image. I like the portrait, too.

Nice work! Hope to see lots more. :)

Number two was shot on-the-spot as I was walking downtown one night.. there was a nice atmosphere about the place, so I snapped one before focusing precisely. (I'm getting better, though.. point-and-shoot, this is not).

I don't know about the pixelation, LaFoto-- I used 400 film; could it be the grain just didn't scan well? Plus, I'm starting to think I didn't resize the pictures properly-- that could be it as well.
Oh and yes.. I have a tripod.. I just neglected to carry it with me.

Now I know I did something right with the portrait shot - I just have to consciously learn what it was... :lol: I think it's a mix of DoF, available light and a willing subject.

Thanks for your comments ...keep 'em coming!

Funny, I think #2 is my fav? It just has a good atmosphere to it. I think the motion adds to the character of the photo. I like that it's slightly out of focus :thumbup:

I have an FD system with A-1 and it's was fun to use for a few rolls. But I keep coming back to digital rebel because of the convenience.

DocFrankenstein said:
I keep coming back to digital rebel because of the convenience.
I've really taken off on SLR - oftentimes, I find the lens makes the shot, and I'm starting to actually prefer manual- over auto-focus.. At this point it's simply a matter of getting the coin needed for a 350D or other dSLR... I like the 'instant gratification' digital photography offers.

It's odd how my progression is going from pocket P&S -> Advanced digital P&S -> 35mm SLR, and someday -> dSLR. Each step is teaching me enough about photography so I'm not a complete bafoon when I graduate myself to better equipment.

woodsac said:
I think the motion adds to the character of the photo. I like that it's slightly out of focus :thumbup:
See, now I thought so too.. I don't know why I like that it's OOF.. maybe because it's an older-looking scene, a spot-on sharp image would 'modernize' it too much. The motion blur of the car, the man crossing the street and the people milling about also make the photo come alive for me.

Of course, I wasn't planning any of this when I took the picture - but I find it just 'works' for me.

Nice shots. I'm looking forward to doing some winter-street photography with my Chinon CE-4. The camera's older than I am!

nice shots. i really just love B&W film.
actually i really just love film.

my camera is from 1974 i think and im only from 83 so my camera is quite my senior. its taken many a good photo :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back