Tries #3 and 4

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was gently scolded for posting tries #1 and 2 in the off topic forum, so I'm posting Tries #3 and 4 in this one. I personally don't think that these are good enough to be here (which is why I've been posting them in the off topic forum). Anyway. Here are Tries #3 and 4.

Just for those not playing along, I recently acquired my brother-in-law's 35mm Nikon. I went out and shot a roll of multiyear-old color film, and the results were god-awful. Fortunately I have many friends here on the Forum, and they encouraged me to try again. So, I went out and shot a roll of B/W. These, too, were pretty dreadful, but a little better than the first attempt. Again, I received strong words of encouragement from my fellow Forumites, and I have done it again. This time, I used a tripod on some, and I took PlasticSpanner's advice to use that +/- exposure thingamabob.

So, Try 3 is new color film: http://www.servatus.com/images/photoforum/try3

And Try 4 is more black and white film: http://www.servatus.com/images/photoforum/try4

Enjoy, and I look forward to your comments.

wow, jo, you're gettin better and better!
I love the seagulls shots in #3 and I love all of #4, but very particularily (sp?????) the subway one.
rock on! :headbang:

they suck!

hehe.
ok, i'm jealous. i've never seen dc portrayed so well. nice work jocose!

thanks gang. I appreciate the comments, but JM, I think you might be being a bit liberal with the compliments.

I still prefer digital, but I do think I'm getting better with the film stuff...we'll see what 5 and 6 look like ;)

jocose said:
thanks gang. I appreciate the comments, but JM, I think you might be being a bit liberal with the compliments.

I still prefer digital, but I do think I'm getting better with the film stuff...we'll see what 5 and 6 look like ;)

why i nevah! shame shame shame, see if i ever look at your stuff anymore :p
i see you don't do well with compliments either, eh? :lmao:

Nice series. Without a doubt the b/w are the better set. But #3 has some good shots; I like the dome roof building, the light falls on it perfectly. I haven't seen #1 or #2 considering I joined TODAY, but why are the colours washed out? Is it the scanner?

Anyways, the improvement between #3 and #4 is quite astounding!

Cheers,
Hydrus.

Wow. These are, indeed, getting better and better!
I can feel the encouragement help you on!
Maybe I should take a heart and a) show you the results of the first (and so far only - for the second did not transport :roll: ) film that I took with my uncle's/father's/sister's Leica M5 at last and b) fill that same Leica with a new roll - make sure it is put there properly!!! - and take some more all manual rangefinder pics!?!?!?

Thanks again gang. Yea, JM, I sometimes have a hard time with compliments (but also bear in mind our conversation on our way to Fuddruckers).

the only thing I can think of about the washed out is that I didn't expose the shots right...

Corinna, I have very little to offer the Forum, but I hope that I can offer you the same support that others are offering me. I got Chris to post his film pics, so I think you should also. It's actually kind of fun to watch them go from dreadful to not to bad to getting better to decent :) I would LOVE to see what you have.

As far as favs, for Try #3:
  • The cobblestone walk
  • the handrail/shadow shot
  • the second bird
  • the pyramid
  • the dome

I like almost all of the B/W shots. I think that I will stick with B/W for the film for a while (also because I have 2 more rolls of it :) )

But my fav b/w is the second shot of the Monument and it's reflection. I really like it because it was dark, dark, dark when I took it and it was something like a 30" exposure...I think it's a little overexposed, but I still like it the best!

Can anyone tell me why image 9 in the b/w (the shot of the Monument) has those rounded black spots at the edges? I shot the pic on a tripod, and I don't remember doing anything special to get that effect...but it's kind of cool ;)

Most reactions

Back