Trip to Centralia, General Critique

Easy_Target

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone. This is the first time I'm submitting my work to be critiqued at TPF.

I went to a town called Centralia, in the less urban parts of Pennslyvania. This was in March 2008, but I hadn't gotten around to uploading the shots until recently.

The shooting conditions that day were bitter cold (about 20 degrees) with strong winds. The sky was overcast and I got caught in a fast heavy hitting Pennsylvania snowstorm. Getting caught in the snow storm prevented me from exploring the rest of the town, by my estimates those pictures cover maybe about 35% of what's left of the town. The ground was actually hot enough to keep the heavy snow from building up in the early pictures and towards the end. That expanse of road was not affected by the underground mines.

I'd like a critique on not just the individual pictures, but the set as a whole. There are 44 images, so I'm linking to the set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90374740@N00/sets/72157605865342357/

[edit]
Clarification: I'm not looking for a critique on ALL images, but rather to glance through the entire set and comment on particular images that stand out, whether it be in a negative or positive way.

Last edited:
I don't mean to appear rude, but asking for critique on 44 images is, IMHO, a bit excessive. May I suggest that you pick 2-5 of the best ones and post those here? I think you'll get far better results if you were to make nine separate posts with five pictures each, spread over a several days, than one big, "Please look at this".

I don't mean to appear rude, but asking for critique on 44 images is, IMHO, a bit excessive. May I suggest that you pick 2-5 of the best ones and post those here? I think you'll get far better results if you were to make nine separate posts with five pictures each, spread over a several days, than one big, "Please look at this".
My apologies if it comes across that way, but that's not my intention. Perhaps I should've been clearer with my first post. I'm not looking for a critique on ALL images, but rather to glance through the entire set and comment on particular images that stand out, whether it be in a negative or positive way.

I'm still a bit used to my photography classes where the images are viewed both individually and as a whole.

Crazy place, huh?

Centralia? Or TPF?

Seriously, I had read about this place a couple of years ago, then watched a couple of short documentaries on YouTube. It is amazing to see smoke still billowing after so many decades. I assume there are also invisible fumes there, which add to the danger. Everything is very surreal –even the name of the place seems fictional.

Interesting shots, Easy_Target. I was especially drawn to those of the cracked pavement.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to see centralia ever since I read about in a book a few days ago, which mentioned it. The book said that the fires could burn for a thousand years because of the coal deposits!

Cool shots, but some of them seem like casual snapshots.

I was rather fond of this shot.
set-72157605865342357
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90374740@N00/2617847347/in/set-72157605865342357/

Also, with what tirediron said, I'd recommend posting just a few of your better pictures, through photobucket or If you're using flickr, I think you can put img tags on the end of the html to do the same thing.

Thanks for sharing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back