Trip to Iceland - Gears to bring?

ahson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I am new here and never travel with my DSLR and it's gear before. I am going to Iceland in a few months and planning what kind of photography gear I should bring to there. Sure you might say let's bring everything because I will have all I need but then I cannot afford to carry heavy load with me everyday.

I am planning to shoot a lot of landscape shots but also portraits with my family.

What I have:

Canon T1i
Tokina 11-16 UWA
Canon 18-55 kit lens
Canon EF-S 18-200
&
A generic tripod :blushing:

Bring them all? Or what should I bring and not to bring?

Thanks

Hahaha, if i brought 1/4 my stuff it would be twice as much as that

Maybe skip the kit lens.

Don't forget lots of memory cards and extra batteries.

Maybe skip the kit lens.

Don't forget lots of memory cards and extra batteries.

Question, is it making any sense if I only bring my 18-200 to cover everything, even the landscapes?

Or 11-16 still a better choice and should bring/use when shooting landscape?

Gotta bring the Tokina..:D Youll probably have some great opportunities to use the UWA, Id rather have it and not use it than not have it and want to use it. Id go with the 18-200 and the 11-16.

+2. Forget the kit lens, they're rubbish anyway. Get a CPL filter if you don't already have one, pretty much an essential for good landscapes.

You should find that the 18-200 can do 90% of what you need it to.

I will also skip the kit lens since your super zoom lens get that covered already. I will get a fast prime such as 50mm F/1.8 because it is small and light weight so it really won't add much.

I echo what the others said, your kit lens and 18-200 have duplicated ranges. What you get in the 18-55 you also get in the 18-200.

I think its important to cover a wide range of focal ranges, and ultra wide angles such as your tokina are key in doing landscapes and such, specially on a crop sensor camera like you have (and I have).

Honestly, I consider photography my passion and if I have to bring extra stuff, I suck it up. I just make sure that I have proper bags to carry them all in.

You won't regret having that 11-16 when taking some shots with it, but you will regret NOT having it when there are shots where it would be best used.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, really appreciated.

Also if you were me, will you bring a tripod as well, even a cheapo one? :blushing:

What gears? I'm partial to 3:73's my self, good mix of power and economy - I prefer 4:10's but they really drain my tank!

Thanks guys for your suggestions, really appreciated.

Also if you were me, will you bring a tripod as well, even a cheapo one? :blushing:

If you plan on doing sunsets / lower light / longer exposure photography, then I would. Unless you are resourceful to find a way to steady the camera prior to taking the picture without a tripod. I know I'm not, which is why I am packing my tripod for my trip to Australia next week.

Cheapo is better than none.

If you're really tight on space/weight the tripod would be the next thing to go after the kit lens. Most times you can make do without one by either using different settings or by improvising a rest somehow. A monopod could be an option worth considering? They also make good hiking sticks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back