Trip to Iceland - Gears to bring?

ahson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I am going to Iceland in a few months and planning what kind of photography gear I should bring to there. Sure you might say let's bring everything because I will have all I need but then I cannot afford to carry heavy load with me everyday.

I am planning to shoot a lot of landscape shots but also portraits with my family.

What I have:

Canon T1i
Tokina 11-16 UWA
Canon 18-55 kit lens
Canon EF-S 18-200
&
A generic tripod :blushing:

What should I bring and not to bring? I am thinking can the 18-200 does it all? Or the Tokina 11-16 still the better option when shooting landscape?

Thanks​

Bring everything but the 18-55. Seriously. You may think you're just going to do landscape, but what if...?

Besides, most medium sized bags will allow for a body and an extra lens, but not 2 lenses...

Rebekka is a photographer in Iceland that maintains a blog and a pretty active Flickr page. If you're so inclined, you might try reaching out to her to see if she's willing to share some advice.

I'd bring the lot that you have right there - however if I had to strip it down I would say leave the 18-55mm at home and bring the other two - and of course the tripod!

The 18-55mm I would expect to be better (generally) than the 18-200mm or at least have both on par with each other (I would be greatly surprised if the 18-200mm is overall better but i am open to being surprised).

That way you have a good wide angle in the 11-16mm and a tripod for landscape work and a good 18-200mm single do all lens for the rest of the time.

I'm in agreement on ditching the 18-55mm. In travel, lighter is better and your two other lenses should get you the range you need. Neither the kit nor the 200 are perfectly sharp, so ultimately you might end up doing a little post processing either way.

Really, the point of travel photography is to be able to get a wide variety of shots as you see necessary and, in that environment, versatility is key.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back