Trip to India pics. First gallery post. 56k warning!!

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by suryad, Dec 17, 2005.

1. suryad

suryad TPF Noob!

Hello all.

As the title suggests these are my FIRST real pics I took with my EOS 20d 17-85 kit. Enjoy.

This pic is of the "chakra" which is a major part of the religious influences in India. It represents time, life, and many other philosophical aspects. The flag of India has this as an emblem at its center. This was from a temple called Konarak in Puri, Orissa. This is a very very old temple but unfortunately it is crumbling as can be seen from the picture.

[​IMG]

These are the holy Jain caves on the outskirts of Puri. It is said that this was a great school where the believers of the religon of Jain would come and take refuge there. Beautifully captivating place.

[​IMG]

This is at the "ghat" as we call it in Bengali. The holty river banks of the Hoogly or the Ganga river. These local kids were a riot!

[​IMG]

This is the Victoria memorial. A tribute from the era of the British empire to Queen Victoria. It is absolutely stunning. By mistake I had left it at ISO 1600 the night before and forgot to change it before taking this pic. :confused:
    [​IMG]

This is the famous meat market in Calcutta. This is by a place called New Market...ironic since this building is a couple hundred years old.

[​IMG]

This is a typical stall in the New Market...stalls like these are family run and once a customer here you are a customer for life. In fact generations of families shop at the same stalls...sort of like tradition I guess. These shopkeepers know you by name soon enough.

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

CraterLion Productions

2. Rapala46

Rapala46 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    awesome. I really like the story behind the last one

3. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    5 is my favourite from the series!

4. suryad

suryad TPF Noob!

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments.

5. suryad

suryad TPF Noob!

Well here is part two. Hope you guys enjoy and also it would be great if you could post some critiques. All shots are hand held so apologies for the crappy night shots...:meh:

Taking a nap to escape the summer heat!

[​IMG]

Kid working at his father's stall...this was a very random shot I took just for the heck of it because I felt awkward to ask him to pose. Sorry for the camera in the pic...we were shooting at that time.
    [​IMG]

Another pic of the stall where the cook is cooking up a batch of singaras.
    [​IMG]

Another shot of the Meat Market.
    [​IMG]

This is a coconut vendor. Drinking the waterlike substance inside is thoroughly refreshing in the heat. I was trying to get a shot of him cutting open one and some of the liquid spilling out and trying to take a shot of the liquid in mid air...but didnt work.
    [​IMG]

India gate. No tripod...
    [​IMG]

Steps of the Gurudwara...the holy temple of the Sikhs in Delhi.
    [​IMG]

PS: All photos were taken and posted straight from the camera. No touchups. Can anyone suggest what could be done to improve the pics?

CraterLion Productions

6. Joerocket

Joerocket TPF Noob!

I really like the colors in the meat market shot, great series!...lol Ganga river.

7. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great shots!

Eric

8. suryad

suryad TPF Noob!

Thanks guys. Any critiques for certain shots?

9. JonK

JonK I want MORE!!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great stuff suryad. I like the busy market shots and the first two at the very top. Love seeing these daily life type shots, especially from india...so different from north america.
    Curious as to what the filming was for.

I would suggest if you want critiques to take one or two shots and post them alone here or in the critique section....you'll get better feedback that way.
    cheers and welcome :D

10. EC808

EC808 TPF Noob!

Nice shots! I love pictures of everyday life. The one of the meat market is very cool.

You should probably consider photos from DSLRs as digital negatives. They should be processed if you want to see your camera's full potential (and you have a really, really good camera). I would suggest that you sharpen your images, and play with the contrast and the color balance.

11. Tsimiri

Tsimiri TPF Noob!

I agree...absolutly wonderful pictures. As far as critique, in the picture of the India Gate, there is what looks like a sun spot on the right of the gate. That could be removed in photoshop and maybe up some contrast but thats really all I could think of. The pictures are amazing and few need touchups...
    I think that you could crop the pictures with the cameras in them. But seriously good job

~Fiona

12. Bada Gora

Bada Gora TPF Noob!

Check out Craterlion Productions for everything you ever wanted to know about why we were filming in India.