Trip to Milan

tsaraleksi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I post a lot of comments in here, so I figured it was only fair that I ought to share some photos as well. Here's something I've been working on recently.

In February/March of this year I visited Italy, going to Milan, Rome, and Venice. Because of work and school, I have just now started completing the editing on these images. The first done is Milan. I was actually in Milan the longest, more than a week, but the weather was terrible, and it rained for most of the duration of my stay, leaving me indoors without taking pictures. On the days that were nice out, or at least decent, I went out and shot in the city center, which is a huge area without traffic, that is generally filed with people. Frustratingly, pretty well only this part of Milan is photogenic-- the rest of the city is, as I concluded while riding the train in, something like a major mid-Western American city, like, say, Cleveland. Important, but not much for tourism. And kinda ugly.

The city center is home to Il Duomo, a huge, medieval cathedral that dominates the landscape in the downtown area:

1)
589663918_SpLMR-L.jpg

Aside from a collection of random shops and offices, there is also the arcade, home to some really high-end luxury shops and restaurants:
2)
589628760_DkYU4-L.jpg

When I got to Milan, celebrations were still underway for Carnival:

3)
589650933_ygVJ7-L.jpg

4)
589665845_mXbuL-L.jpg

Probably the oddest part of the celebrations, though, were the kids sword fighting:
5)
589690546_npbHh-L.jpg

6)
589641001_2SunN-L.jpg

Aside from those photos, I mostly shot pictures of people going about their day in the area:

7)
589690064_dG4cT-L.jpg

8)
589620230_yeuZS-L.jpg

9)
589622902_V9vs4-L.jpg

10)
589623606_eeLR5-L.jpg

11)
589614548_c5pMY-L.jpg

12)
589629428_qUCtU-L.jpg

(this is shot in the courtyard of the church that houses The Last Supper)

and one day I did venture out in the rain:
13)
589634316_3TPUw-L.jpg

If you want to see more Milan photos, everything else is in a gallery here. Thanks for any comments!

edit: screwed up the bb code. fixing it now.

some very nice photos. Im leaving to italy in 3 weeks! Going to Rome than sicili. Ill be viewing my vacation through the lens 90 percent of the time.

I really liked all of them, but especially #8... I really wish that smoker on the right wasn't in the picture hahah... great capture!!!!

I really liked all of them, but especially #8... I really wish that smoker on the right wasn't in the picture hahah... great capture!!!!

Yeah I can't decide whether or not I like him in there or not. It's making me kinda batty. Ha.

#3 & #7 are my favorites.

Nice shots with good composition. I would've liked some more shots with better composition of Il Duomo

Great series. #12 is my fave.

I take it that you've not been to Italy then.

I'm really surprised that a glass / bottle of wine is absent. :D

Wow! #12 really grabbed my attention.
Nice series.

01 and 13 if I had to pick two.

The cathedral is amazing. Did you get to go inside? I'm guessing that no picture taking is allowed inside.

01 and 13 if I had to pick two.

The cathedral is amazing. Did you get to go inside? I'm guessing that no picture taking is allowed inside.

Yeah it was pretty stunning inside-- really far more breathtaking than from the outside. When I toured it, the weather was really poor and rainy (the last photo was taken basically from the steps as I left) which gave it a really ominous and dark feeling that I would have loved to get a chance to photograph, but they were quite emphatic about the no photos policy (to the point that people were watching as you walked, etc). A real shame.

Most reactions

Back