Jose Saenz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.moremojo.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!

When I first got my XSI I bought one of the best tripods available at Circuit City to go with it. It served its purpose at the time. Since then however, I have upgraded my kit, purchasing an amazing 24-70mm canon lens. Now I have a problem though. That tripod that I had thought to be a good tripod, can no longer sustain my camera equipment.

My question is, what tripod setup do you guys recommend I buy...in the $300-400 price range that can sustain a lot of weight.

I would appreciate any advice you guys can give me!

Jose S.

Manfrotto, Gitzo, slik etc, make professional grade tripods, these are usually very stable and pretty heavy. H

I recently picked up a set of Induro AX214 legs with a Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head (total ~$200.00), and it is a very sturdy and versatile set-up.

http://www.indurogear.com/products/details.asp?ID=362#specs

Pic of my set-up in macro mode:

mb3.jpg

thanks for sharing your tripod... i got an idea now.

Hi all!

When I first got my XSI I bought one of the best tripods available at Circuit City to go with it. It served its purpose at the time. Since then however, I have upgraded my kit, purchasing an amazing 24-70mm canon lens. Now I have a problem though. That tripod that I had thought to be a good tripod, can no longer sustain my camera equipment.

My question is, what tripod setup do you guys recommend I buy...in the $300-400 price range that can sustain a lot of weight.

I would appreciate any advice you guys can give me!

Jose S.

I had the same problem and bought a SLIK 300DX. Very sturdy and not that expensive. $109.95 at B&H Photo and you get a free tripod bag with it. I use it for 35mm, digital, medium format and sometimes for 4x5 caameras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/104984-REG/Slik_615_310_Able_300DX_Tripod.html

sony2copy.jpg

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a [FONT=&quot]322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead. It's solid as a rock. I think the compo was a little over $300.
[/FONT]

I own the SLIK 300DX and CAN NOT suggest this tripod, unless you don't mind the slow deploying threaded bolt style of leg locks :thumbdown: & 7lbs heft. I will probably give the thing away when I sell my 40D. Not bad for the price, but..

-Shea

Any good camera shop will let you try the tripod before you buy, so try it with your heaviest lens and all that. If it wobbles it is not good.

I own the SLIK 300DX and CAN NOT suggest this tripod, unless you don't mind the slow deploying threaded bolt style of leg locks :thumbdown: & 7lbs heft. I will probably give the thing away when I sell my 40D. Not bad for the price, but..

-Shea

I agree that the leg locks are a pain, but you can also get quick lock lever type legs on similiar SLIK models like the 330DX for the same price. I was suggesting SLIK because they are very sturdy tripods and are reasonably priced.

I have the 055xprob or whatever too... very happy with it.

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a [FONT=&quot]322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead. It's solid as a rock. I think the compo was a little over $300.
[/FONT]

This is a very good choice and is an extremely versatile tripod/head setup

Yea, my daughter was using it last night and now she wants the setup for Christmas.

I was suggesting SLIK because they are very sturdy tripods and are reasonably priced.
Agreed, I almost picked up a nice tall one yesterday for $159 (discounted at show)... then I some of Phranquey's Induro equipment in person... and well now I'm on my way to dropping $450 on a tripod... or if I can loose my lust for carbon, about $260.

Thanks alot! :lmao:

-Shea

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back