Tripod and ballhead for travel for under $250 CAD?

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently borrowing some piece-of-crap Velbon from a relative. It's not terribly sturdy and the three-way head is annoying.

I'd like to buy myself a new tripod for outdoor and travel before I go on vacation in about six weeks. I definitely want a ballhead with quick-release to go with it.

I don't know where to start with tripods, but what I want is:

• Sturdy, of course
  • Reasonably light (carbon fibre would sure be nice, but it's no doubt out of my price range)
  • At least five feet maximum extension (60")
  • Good leg locking system
  • No more than $250 Canadian, including the price of the ball-head

I was thinking of a Manfrotto 484RC2 or 486RC2 for the head. I think a 4-6 KG load maximum should be enough for me for quite a while.

Is there a "D40 of tripods"? ;) As in, pretty cheap but very good bang for the buck...

Last edited:
Hmmm ... that's right on my price point! I'll have to see if there's a store I can check that one out in person. Thanks!

It looks as though that ballhead doesn't have a quick-release, though.

Looks like it does..I think the picture of the kit was of only the tripod

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 486RC2 - COMPACT BALL HEAD W/RC2 R.C.SY

486RC2.jpg

Ah! My bad then. I thought the 486RC2 was just the head, but I didn't realize that the "RC2" stood for the quick release model number.

Yay! :)

Check out the line of Induro tripods. They sell them at Vistek.

I bought mine and a bal head for about $300 taxes in, but you can do better if you choose the lighter ones, and 3 section.

I am really happy with mine.

Cheers

Check out the line of Induro tripods. They sell them at Vistek.

I bought mine and a bal head for about $300 taxes in, but you can do better if you choose the lighter ones, and 3 section.

I am really happy with mine.

Cheers

:thumbup:

I've got the Induro AX214 with a 486RC2 head, and I absolutely love it. It's plenty stout enough to handle my 500mm f/4 with full confidence, the vibration is almost nil, and while it's not carbon, the weight isn't bad at all.

Most reactions

Back