Tripod ballhead assistance/recommendations

ionz13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new at photography and am picking it up as a hobby.

I'm having trouble deciding what ballhead to get for it. I really enjoy the Markins Q3, but think that is too expensive for just an amateur. What I'm looking for is something similar to the Markins Q3 (easy to adjust on the fly, "sweet spot") and I also would like a bubble attached to the head.

The tripod I'm set on is the Manfrotto/Bogen 190XproB
479927.jpg

I've been looking at the Manfrotto/bogen 488RC0 and am wondering if the plate and quick release mechanism can be changed out at all?
272989.jpg

any recommendations on a different ballhead?

I have the 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead and I like it a lot. I set up the grip for my left hand, leaving my right hand free to operate the camera. I use the grip handle to position the camera. This way I can reposition and shoot quickly.

I was leaning away from the Grip head b/c I want something a bit more compact. Thanks for the help though.

=ionz13;1509819]I'm new at photography and am picking it up as a hobby.

I'm having trouble deciding what ballhead to get for it. I really enjoy the Markins Q3, but think that is too expensive for just an amateur.

Why, what has being an amature got to do with the cost of a piece of equipment that you are going to use? I understand if you say it's too exensive and if I buy it I won't be able to put food on the table for the kids for a week. Quality comes at a cost amature or not. Otherwise we would all be driving Yugo's. (No offense intended to any Yugo drivers.)

What I'm looking for is something similar to the Markins Q3 (easy to adjust on the fly, "sweet spot") and I also would like a bubble attached to the head.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-MH-1300-Socket-MH-657-Release/dp/B000OOBQY6]Amazon.com: Giottos MH-1300 Pro Series II Extra Large Socket & Ball Head with MH-657 Quick Release System - Max Load: 20 Lbs.: Electronics[/ame]

Giottos | MH-1301 Pro Series II Medium Ballhead | MH1301-656

479927.jpg

I've been looking at the Manfrotto/bogen 488RC0 and am wondering if the plate and quick release mechanism can be changed out at all?
272989.jpg
Not costeffectively

[/QUOTE]

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 488RC2 Midi Ball Head with | 488RC2

Personally, I don't see much reason for tripods with todays advances in technology.

However, if you find the need for one, the rule of thumb the is twice the weight capacity of your heaviest lens and body.

Good Luck!

Are you looking for a large ball head that does not use a quick release plate?

There are two models: 488 and the 488-rc0
The rc0 uses a quick release plate

Personally, I don't see much reason for tripods with todays advances in technology.

However, if you find the need for one, the rule of thumb the is twice the weight capacity of your heaviest lens and body.

Good Luck!

Apparently monopods are ok however if you look at Rockwells home page. :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

I'm new at photography and am picking it up as a hobby.

I'm having trouble deciding what ballhead to get for it. I really enjoy the Markins Q3, but think that is too expensive for just an amateur. What I'm looking for is something similar to the Markins Q3 (easy to adjust on the fly, "sweet spot") and I also would like a bubble attached to the head.

"Ken Rockwell's" comments aside, that is IMO, an excellent combination. It's one that I use frequently.

"Ken Rockwell's" comments aside, that is IMO, an excellent combination. It's one that I use frequently.

Just curious, do you find the RC0 to be a bit of "overkill" on a DSLR? Always seemed more like a medium format size plate to me. But then I left RC2 and switched to Arca-swiss standard and would never change now.

The RCO is a larger plate, but the thing I really like about it is that it's easy to mount in a hurry. With the RC2, you're a lot more limited as far as just slamming the body/lens onto the head and I find it too darn fiddly. In fact, if I could change my monopod to RC2, I'd do it.

Why, what has being an amateur got to do with the cost of a piece of equipment that you are going to use? I understand if you say it's too expensive and if I buy it I won't be able to put food on the table for the kids for a week. Quality comes at a cost amature or not.

I just think it's too expensive for me and that a simpler/cheaper ballhead will satisfy my needs. (I wanted to state what level of photography I am at so as to help provide a better answer to my needs.)

Not costeffectively
Any reasons why? Is it because the plate is too much for the tripod?

After making this post I actually really like the giottos MH-1301. Anyone use this one much?

Are you looking for a large ball head that does not use a quick release plate?

There are two models: 488 and the 488-rc0
The rc0 uses a quick release plate

The ballhead I am looking for is of the medium size (no large sized ones,) a quick release, a leveling bubble, and the ability to pan (i.e. take multiple landscape photos and stitch them together.)

Thanks again for the help forum guys!

I just think it's too expensive for me and that a simpler/cheaper ballhead will satisfy my needs. (I wanted to state what level of photography I am at so as to help provide a better answer to my needs.)

That is a perfectly good reason. What I disliked about the first statement was the idea of being an amature meant choosing a lesser quality just because you are an amature. Everyone, regardless of their photographic status needs to set their own budget based on what they can afford vs the trade off in qualtiy.

Any reasons why? Is it because the plate is too much for the tripod?

After making this post I actually really like the giottos MH-1301. Anyone use this one much?

The 488 comes in several QR styles. It is more cost effective to pick the style that fits your needs instead of buying one and trading out the QR later. Unless you are looking to got to something not offered such as the Arca Swiss format. Expensive switch, but a little cheaper than going with a RRS, Kirk, or Arca-swiss head to start with.

As for the level, personally I find this much more useful then a level on the head. $25.00, but more versitile.

Acratech | Double Axis Spirit Level | 6001 | B&H Photo Video

Most reactions

Back