Tripod choice?

Seems a decent choice. The QR plate is a definate plus. I have a mix of heads. I would say the pure ball head is probably my least favorite. As its a two hand job to move the camera. I have a grip action, and a couple 3 way heads as well. The quick grip gets used the most. The head is the 3265. Of course its a bit higher in price than your posted limit.

Last edited:
So what would you recommend, because I could save up.

If it has 3 legs and can hold your camera, what difference does it make?

So what would you recommend, because I could save up.

If I were to buy another head. It would be another grip head. I like the 3265. They have the side grip one, but I didn't like it as the grip would be the same side as the shutter release. The vertical grip can be used with the left hand with the right on the shutter.

Could use a remote release but I wasn't that smart when I was shopping. :mrgreen:

Ease of use. Trying to follow a bird / animal with a 300 f/2.8 on a tripod, ease of use becomes paramount, or you loose a shot or two.

If the camera shakes, while on a tripod, because of a slight breeze ...

Take your camera and the longest lens when you shop for a tripod.
Attach it to the tripod ... lock the head ... then tap the end of the lens ... see how much it shakes.

So what legs would you get with that head you mentioned.

So what legs would you get with that head you mentioned.

I am particular to Bogen. Knowing there is a budget. This would be the one I would get myself. Has good weight capacity, decent size (not sure if your tall or not). Has the option of mounting the center tube horizontal so if your trying to shoot macro of flowers makes it easier.

190XPROB Bogen - Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Black Aluminum Pro Tripod Legs (Height 3.15" - 57", Maximum Load 11 lbs)

I have a Bogen Carbon 1, and a 3021pro in black. The one listed looks to be pretty close to the 3021 but about $100 less than I paid a long while ago. They don't list 3021's on B&H or Adorama anymore. Not sure what it was replaced by.

The 3021 legs have been replaced with the 055XPROB legs. The maximum height w/o column extended is 55.9" while the 190XPROB legs are only 48" tall. I like having the extra height and the extra 4.5lb load capacity.

Yeah, that head and legs is a little out of range, is there any other head?

While I'm not advocating his product choices, the thought process is fundamentally sound. I expect my tripod to last the remainder of my photography life barring an unfortunate accident. I considered it an investment much as I did with lens choices.

Interesting reading nonetheless by Thom Hogan on tripods.

For under $150 it's impossible to beat the Slik Pro 700 DX. It's lightweight, easy to use, has bubble levels, will support up to 15 lbs, and comes complete with a solid pan-tilt head with quick release plate. And it's only $130. I've used this tripod for the past 3 years, with both 35 and med format cameras, and it's just a super tripod for the money.

Slik | 700DX Pro Tripod | 615-315 | B&H Photo Video

Yeah, that head and legs is a little out of range, is there any other head?

Here is a china grip head. I have not seen it or used it. I have however ordered some of the knock off (3157n) QR plates from them (fits just fine on real Bogen heads). And I ordered one of their carbon fiber tripods for my wife. The tripod suprised me as I was thinking I wasted some money on it. Not as strong as my carbon 1. But for 1/3 the cost it really suprised me. About the only thing that seemed real cheap on it was the plastic feet.

Squeeze Trigger Grip Tripod Joystick Ball Head Metal - eBay (item 360110709776 end time Jan-23-09 19:57:33 PST)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think the only thing that is foolish is putting 1500 in gear up on something you got for 20 dollars. I would feel a lot better baout a brand name head.

Most reactions

Back