Tripod choice?

I think the only thing that is foolish is putting 1500 in gear up on something you got for 20 dollars. I would feel a lot better baout a brand name head.

Like I said, never seen it. But not sure what gear you had to put on it. The cheap QR plates I have went on my old MF bodies that are rarely used (and not worth that much). The D300's, 80-200, and the 300 2.8 have Bogen plates. As I am in full agreement with you on this subject.

Although I don't use the cheapie carbon tripod, I would.

Didn't mean to steer you completely away from the compact ball heads. Just the Grip head is so much easier to use in my opinion. But there are obviously alot of compact ball heads out there.

Yeah, that grip has some less than positive reviews though at Adorama, do you think it would be worth it?

Yeah, that grip has some less than positive reviews though at Adorama, do you think it would be worth it?

Well, I am sure it has some short commings when trying to get very accurate small adjustments with pics of still objects (any ball head would). A 3 way pan head would probably be better for that. I like it because its quick. It locks tight (can be adjusted tighter or looser).

The reason I don't like the mini-ball heads / ball heads is you need two hands. 1 to hold move camera, 1 to tighten it down / loosen to move.

A 3way pan head you can use one hand, but it only works in one plane single handed (L/R, up / down, or tilt). With the grip any direction or combination with just one hand. Basically close to ease of hand holding, but with support.

I just read the reviews, I would have sworn there were 2 allen head screws to adjust it. Not at home to check. I could be wrong I guess. One reviewer said had to take it apart and add washers? Maybe I am thinking of something else. Also read the review about using it over on its side. I have never had an issue with that. If you have a big lens on, maybe it might tip, but a hanging sand bag from the center colum hook would cure that no problem.

Last edited:
This just hit my InBox from Adorama.

Used 322RC2 head for $84 in E+ condition. Damn good price, damn good head.

This just hit my InBox from Adorama.

Used 322RC2 head for $84 in E+ condition. Damn good price, damn good head.

What, you couldn't hook a brother up who happens to be tripod and head poor? :lol: Where's the holiday spirit? Had to jump on it for your self.

Have you paid for it yet? Let me put it in my cart and see. :lol::lol:

Doh, took inbox as cart. Hahahaha. No wonder it was still listing when I looked at it. I guess you were hooking a brother up.

^^ heheh Nah..... I paid full price for it back in the summer. :lol: I had shoulder surgery and got it to replace my 488RC4 head so I can have one handed operation. It's still on top of my (055XPROB) legs.

^^ heheh Nah..... I paid full price for it back in the summer. :lol: I had shoulder surgery and got it to replace my 488RC4 head so I can have one handed operation. It's still on top of my (055XPROB) legs.

So, having the handle on the right, not a bother?

That's the beauty of this head. You can have it left handed, right handed or have the grip on top (vertical).

Didn't have a clue you could do that. I might have bought it versus the vertical one if I had known you can use the handle on the left and it not be backwards. Went to the web site and they list left or right. But their information is a little lacking. Searching the site also saw a pic with it vertical, but they only have the one showing right hand use in its description page. Guess they are not trying that hard to sell it.

I guess you can just file that info and retrieve when needed in the future. I will say that it doesn't creep, even when I have a 300mm lens + 1.7 TC attached to my gripped D300. The 488 head would creep ever so slightly even with the D80.

So then what is the final recommendation?

So then what is the final recommendation?

That slik tripod posted looks like a really good deal for what you get.

Even if you don't like the 3 way head. You are getting a good leg set for about the same cash as the Bogen. Just wont have the horizontal center column option.

I opted to go with a really good one right off the bat. So my first was the Carbon 1 (bought for a 4 week long trip to National Parks out west). Figured only want to buy one once. I then wanted a second one and bought the 3021. Since it was a second tripod I was not so much concerned by weight savings.

If you only want to buy a tripod once and see no need for a second one in the future. I say hold off a little bit more and get one with the features you need / want. But if you need one now, and dont mind getting a better one later as well. I think that Slick is a good one for the price.

What about the 190Xprob one? I am interested in going with that along with the head that you mentioned. The 222 one correct?

Last edited:

Thats basically the newer version of what I have. And just in case your wondering. I have used a 4x5 view camera on the tripod (larger head though). Its sturdy as can be. The newer model is different as they changed the way you move the center column to horizontal. Supposed to be easier on the new one.

If your thinking of holding out for this one, I say do it. As you will have it for a long time. As I would see no reason to up grade from it. Had mine at least 8 years. Still works great with no issues.

If you have more than one body, or lenses with mounts. Grab a couple 3157n plates. $12 I think (didn't look).

Most reactions

Back