Tripod choices

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, well I finally talked myself out of the Gitzo for now, and have narrowed it down to two choices. Which do you guys favor, and for what reasons if any?

Velbon | EL Carmagne 630A Tripod Legs | ELCARMA630A | B&H Photo

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 190CX3 Carbon Fiber Tripod | 190CX3

I will probably be using this ball head:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=272779&is=REG

Any opinions on either the legs or the ball head? Maybe something that would be better?
Thanks

Last edited:
I use the four-section version of the 190 with the 488 ball-head as my light-duty/hiking tripod and it's excellent. I've not bought a Velbon in quite a few years, but they were always decent. Basically, my preference would be for the Manfrotto gear, but I think you'll be happy with either, and as long as you're not hanging a 200mm f2.8 or larger lens off of it, the 488 ball head will be just fine.

I use the four-section version of the 190 with the 488 ball-head as my light-duty/hiking tripod and it's excellent. I've not bought a Velbon in quite a few years, but they were always decent. Basically, my preference would be for the Manfrotto gear, but I think you'll be happy with either, and as long as you're not hanging a 200mm f2.8 or larger lens off of it, the 488 ball head will be just fine.

I am getting a 70-200 f/2.8 though.

If that's the case, I would look at the 468 head.
If you are willing to spend the money on the Manfrotto 468 then you should really take a look at the Markins Q3 traveler. Out performs the Manfrotto in every catagory for just a few dollars more.

Markins: Home of Markins Q-Balls >> Q3T

Yeah, however with that brand, you must buy the plate separately as you do with the Really Right Stuff ball heads, so add another $50 onto the total.

I use the 486RC2 and the 190XDB combo from Manfrotto. It has supported a 80-200 F/2.8, D300 and MB-D10 no problem. Definitely a sturdy entry level tripod that fits in my messenger bag for trips on my motorcycle.

If you are willing to spend the money on the Manfrotto 468 then you should really take a look at the Markins Q3 traveler. Out performs the Manfrotto in every catagory for just a few dollars more.

Markins: Home of Markins Q-Balls >> Q3T

Yeah, however with that brand, you must buy the plate separately as you do with the Really Right Stuff ball heads, so add another $50 onto the total.

True, but the extra $50 is well spent to go with the security of the Arca Swiss system instead of a proprietary system like the Manfrotto. My gear and my piece of mind is well worth the cost of Arca Swiss.

What's the difference between this one, and the traveler one you linked?

Markins: Home of Markins Q-Balls >> Q3LK

Actually I linked to the wrong one. The one in your link is what the OP might want to consider. The one in my link was specifically designed for the Gitzo Traveler leg series. (My Bad) The base on the one in my link is 6mm narrower for the Gitzo Traveler legs. That is the only difference.

Actually I linked to the wrong one. The one in your link is what the OP might want to consider. The one in my link was specifically designed for the Gitzo Traveler leg series. (My Bad) The base on the one in my link is 6mm narrower for the Gitzo Traveler legs. That is the only difference.

Alright, I really like that one. I have never heard of them before though.

Do you have any issues with the legs I am considering thus far if I pair one of them with that ball head?

Alright, I really like that one. I have never heard of them before though.

Do you have any issues with the legs I am considering thus far if I pair one of them with that ball head?

I have never use Velbon so I can't speak to them. I have used and have 2 Manfrotto tripods but not the set you have linked to. Personally if I was buying an Aluminum tripod I would buy Manfrotto. Best legs for the money in aluminum. I like the 190 version in aluminum. I have not seen it in Carbon Fiber so I don't have an opinion on that exact set of legs.

For Carbon fiber I choose Gitzo. They are Manfrottos sister company and are at the top of the game when it comes to composite legs. (They also know it if you look at the price of their legs)

One of the reasons I went with Gitzo though was the glass and head I was putting on it. I Didn't care about light weight. I needed extreemely sturdy support for a 400 f2.8 and a Wimberley II head.

I can say that the reviews for the manfrotto 190CX3 all seem to be good. Manfrotto does make a quality product.

If you are not in a big rush you might take a look at Feisol as well. The seem to get good reviews and are basicly a Gitzo knock off at a better price. Here is one of their "Traveler" models.
FEISOL CT-3441S with Center Column and a Tripod Bag

The Feisol has been noted. Cheers.

But on the other hand, do you have a preference for the Gitzo?

May I ask your reasoning? I haven't had a problem with the 80-200 f/2.8 + TC + D200 + grip + flash, or a 300mm f/4 on the 488 head. I probably wouldn't put a 8x12 large format camera on it but otherwise it has been sturdy as a rock with whatever heavy thing I have thrown on it.

Most reactions

Back