Tripod for Canon 5d, 70-200 kit?

You need a weight capacity rating at least 2x the most weight you expect to ever mount on the tripod/head and 3x is better.

Don't forget situations where you need to hang weight from the tripod to help stabilize it (windy) or situations where you need to place a weight bag on top of the camera.

I feel Giottos tripods offer a bit better value for the money than do Manfrotto tripods. www.giottos.com and check out the aluminum tripods in the MT line.

If you have a 5DMII and a 70-200 f/2.8 IS with total investment well above $4000, i seriously question why would you spend $200 on the tripod. That is like buying a super car, but only have steel wheels and crappy tires on it....... it is not safe for the supercar and a slightest "accident" would cost you way more then $200. Look for a carbon fiber manfrotto with a strong ball head!

Won't we have to hang a lot more weight to a carbon fiber tripod?
Only the difference between the weight of the same tripod in aluminum, just under 1 kilo (2 lbs).

Thanks everyone! Now you've got me doing more research! I appreciate the help :) I might end up at Calumet and just telling them to ring me up for something worthy. They're a great help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back