tripod - heavy lens - trouble

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by stanislaw32, Nov 4, 2008.

1. stanislaw32

stanislaw32 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am a big fan of night photography.
    See e.g. here:
    http://www.trekearth.com/members/mkamionka/photos/
    I think I learned to produce pretty good pictures having simple camera (EOS300, EOS350d).
    my trouble began when I decided to upgrade.
    I bought EOS450d and then 17-85mm lens.
    The tripod which I used was always the lightest cheapest smallest tripod which worked out perfectly and was great for travel.
    I think the new lens is pretty heavy and destabilizing the whole camera.
    I performed some tests with same camera using this new lens and some old simple lenses.
    The shots with old simple lens (EF 80-200mm II)
    are ALL very sharp.
    The shots with the new heavy lens (EF-S 17-85mm IS USM) are in most cases not sharp. I took about ten consecutive shots and out of ten 1 or 2 are satisfactory but never as good as with the simple lens.

Now the paradox is that upgrading the lens I get much better pictures in the daylight but much worse at night (which are my favorites).

I am very curious if anybody had a similar case.
    Is everybody using heavy tripods?
    What are your favorites?
    Are there some heavy tripods which are not necessary
    very expensive?

Alternatively I think about taking for the night photos the lighter simpler lenses but for the travel I would need to take two versions of each lens.

I would appreciate your advice.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    yep if your using heavier kit at night when you need longer shutter speeds a light tripod might end up causing you problems. The thing is to get more stability you need a lower centre of gravity - with a light tripod and heavy camera and lens all the weight is at the top - making it unstable - that means you need more weight lower down which can be done 2 ways:

1) Get a better tripod - cheapy tripods are good and light and setup really quick, but they are no good for trusting to freestand I find. A good solid tripod (look at the manfrotto range - the 190 range is a good cheaper solid tripod - though you will need a head - manfrotto 3way head should be good for landscape sorts of work)

2) Hang weights on the tripod - most tripods have a hook where you can hang additional weights off (like your camera bag ;)) however with the lighter models even this might not be that stable since leg angles are usually fixed and quite close to the middle - meaning that weight is not as spread out and stable.

3. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You didn't mention it but three words of advice as an adjunct to Overread's .....

Remote Shutter Release

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    oh and you reminded me of another - Mirror lockup mode!
    check your manual for details on how to set and use this option!

5. stanislaw32

stanislaw32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice.
    I really appreciate it.

I do use remote control.
    In the past cable, now really remote.

I thought about this mirror lockup, and also the other option which is supposed to record the picture for the second time with shutter closed to remove the noise.
    However I never did those things before and the pictures were great (in my opinion :wink:).
    Also when I tested the light (here means not heavy) lenses the sharpness was really stunning so I figured these settings do not change much.

I think I will try to hang something on my tripod next time just out of curiosity. However I don't know how to do it because there is no hanger provided, but I will think of something.
    But if it does not help I will buy something heavier.
    The company which you suggested, Manfrotto, has really a big choice and there is a guide how to choose a suitable tripod and head.
    Thanks a lot!