Tripod help please

mkoop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I apologize for this being a bit of a please hold my hand post...

I am new to photography - by new I mean I have been shooting a D200 for about 4 years.

Now to the lenses... I enjoy shooting macro and landscape. I go on several multiple day backpacking trips a few times each year with my gear. Going forward I plan to take three lenses on my trips. An 11-16 f2.8, a 16-85 f3.5 and my 105 f2.8 for macro. Occasionally I may end up bringing the telephoto which is a 70-300 f4.5 but have left it behind more recently due to the lack of wildlife photography I usually end up doing on these hikes, though I know not having it along will probably bite me at some point... tough decisions when you have to carry gear for 5-7 days and 75+ miles on your back.

On to the problem and my question...

The tripod I bought to use locally (haven't backpacked with it) is to simply put ... garbage. It doesn't support the weight of my camera with the lens that I have, sure it makes holding it in place easier, but it constantly tips downward from the weight.

I need to start bringing a light weight dependable tripod on these hikes.
What is important to me in a tripod? In order of importance to me.

1. Functionality - If it can't hold my camera in place with the the lenses listed above, I wont even consider it.
2. Weight - I need something lightweight for these trips, but NOT at the sacrafice of functionality, I will cut weight in other areas if that is what it comes to.
3. Footprint - It must be a reasonable size to strap onto the outside of a pack
4. Durability - It will be with me on backpacking trips... I will treat it as best I can but it will be strapped to a pack...
5. Price - Not a whole lot to say here, I know I will likely pay for the features I have listed but I'd like to avoid overkill as well, if I have to spend a few hundred to get the above I will but I also don't need to overpay for unneeded bells and whistles.

Any recommendations would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Look for Gitzo, Manfrotto or Benro tridpods. Choose one which is rated for at least twice the weight of your heaviest lens/body combination (both legs and head) and check out Craig's List or your local equivalent. Tripods are a great deal on the used market, often going for 1/2 of retail. I have a very nice Manfrotto 190 in CF, w/ 4 section legs that's light and folds up very compactly. Ideal for hiking. I would be prepared to spend at least $250 to get what you want on the used market.

What is important to me in a tripod? In order of importance to me.

1. Functionality - If it can't hold my camera in place with the the lenses listed above, I wont even consider it.
2. Weight - I need something lightweight for these trips, but NOT at the sacrafice of functionality, I will cut weight in other areas if that is what it comes to.
3. Footprint - It must be a reasonable size to strap onto the outside of a pack
4. Durability - It will be with me on backpacking trips... I will treat it as best I can but it will be strapped to a pack...
5. Price - Not a whole lot to say here, I know I will likely pay for the features I have listed but I'd like to avoid overkill as well, if I have to spend a few hundred to get the above I will but I also don't need to overpay for unneeded bells and whistles.

I'm glad to see "price" is your lowest priority, because you're going to have to spend some money. Start your search looking for carbon fiber for lightweight tripods, and don't blow a gasket when you see how much they cost.

Check out the MeFoto tripods. They have three models and each can come in aluminum or carbon fibre. I have the largest one, the Globetrotter in the carbon fibre. I am actually really impressed with it. Comparing it to tripods that hold the same amount of weight and other specs, it is definitely cheaper. For the weight you are looking at putting on top, you could probably go for the mid level Road Trip. It holds 17.6 pounds, closes up real small, has a removable monopod, and weighs 3.6 pounds for aluminum and 3.1 pounds for carbon fibre. They even use ARCA SWISS plating system which is pretty cool. The aluminum one goes for $189 and carbon fibre is $329 which considering the specs, is pretty awesome. Prior to Christmas they were even cheaper. For the difference in weight, the aluminum one is a steal.

With tripods you get what you pay for. MeFoto is not a Really Right Stuff tripod. Not even close. But in terms of bang for your buck, I would say you can't go wrong.

p.s. you can get fancy colours if that is your thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back