Tripod help

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I first started taking pic I had a D40 with the kit lens and a cheap tripod but now Ive got the D90. I have added a vertical grip and have several lens added to my collection to which now my tripod wont hold it still enough. Im looking to by a good tripod thats unde 200.00 and was just curious to here what all you smart people hane to say or suggest.

I just got the Manfrotto combo at Ritz for $150. 190dxb and 390RC2 3 way head w/quick release.
This my first tripod, but when I went to get the Quantaray 9500 thing for $80, the first thing I noticed is that it didn't seem very stable and had a lot of leg flex. I don't know what the best tripod for under $200 is, but at twice the price of the Quantaray, my first impression felt it was more than twice as good.
There was another tripod (Smith Vector?) on the Ritz site with a gear vertical that I wanted but was internet order only and I needed/wanted one sooner than shipping would allow.

Last edited:
Ive heard about the slik 700 and the manfrotto but am not sure what the difference is in the heads. All I know is that I want a good tripod that has a easy and quick release.

This is my favorite one I use; I paid $220 three years ago, they are cheaper now, but they are strong and sturdy. It will definately hold your gear and the weight of you leaning over your gear.
Amazon.com: Vanguard Tracker-2 All Aluminum Alloy Tripod with 3-Way Panhead: Camera & Photo

When I was up in the Pocanos a couple years back, I had left my tripod in TX (DOH!) so I bought this one at a small camera shop on main street in Honesdale, PA. Its not my favorite, mainly because it's not as tall as I like without using the center post, but it is quite sturdy and was only $150. Though they seem hard to find now.
Vivitar ProLine PL300 Tripod - Reviews, Features, and Prices $0 - $0 at DealTime

Normally I would say do not buy Sunpak, they are mostly for those P&S people that think cheap is just as good as pro. BUT, this little gem is awsome for close to the ground or tabletop shots. Remove (unscrew) the centerpost, and do not extend the legs, and this will hold your heaviest camera/lens combo just a few inches above the ground. I use this for MACRO photography.
Good Tripod For Those Who Travel Light - Sunpak Platinum Plus TravelLite 56.5" Tripod - 620-560BB - Epinions.com

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back