Tripod / Monopod for travel advice

W8KT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am fairly new to outdoor photography but I am really enjoying the hobby. I am planning several trips this summer, one to Yellowstone. I have an XSI and plan on using my Sigma 50-500 on the trips. I am looking for a good, portable, sturdy solution. Since I will be flying I would like something that can collapse to a small size yet be strong enough for the weight and the rigors of travel. I am not interested in the expensive carbon fiber type units but a more reasonable priced unit would be great.

You have two choices ... tripod or monopod ... but you have already figured that out.

I travel on long hikes with a monopod with a small ball head. It assists with camera shake but is no good for long exposures (I mean 1/4s or slower). It is good enough for me shooting in shady wooded areas.

Any tripod that is sturdy will add some weight ... no matter how light it is, it will feel heavy after a long hike.

On shot hikes I take a tripod ... I use a Manfrotto 190 with a medium ball head, it does the job even though it is not the best I could choose. It is a compromise I choose over my previous sturdier tripod.

Bogen/Manfrotto, makes a great one.

In the past (don't hike much anymore), I would bring along a monopod w/ball head and heavy duty rubber bands (or. even better.. Welcome to BongoTies.com!). Most of the time, the monopod was enough. On the occasions I needed more stability, I would strap the monopod to a tree/bush or find two other sticks and make a tripod. It worked fairly well and weighed next to nothing. Creative minds will come up with creative solutions...

Enjoying hiking is as much comfort as the hike itself.

I use my monopod alot more than my tripods. Also if you are in city shooting situations a tripod can get you into trouble as, where a monopod is unobtusive so, it isnt frowned upon as much.

Good luck fitting either one in your luggage. I personally have managed to bring a tripod aboard with me on a plane, but your mileage may vary, and you'd probably have better luck with a monopod strapped to your jeans. Monopods are also cheaper than tripods, comparatively speaking since you do not need to buy a head with it. What's your budget?

Tripods and monopods each have their strengths and weaknesses, monopods are more accessible and easier to actually use and carry around, while tripods are better for absolute stability - anything that requires longer shutter speeds like night photography can't really be done on a monopod.

I have a Manfrotto mono-pod and an Induro tripod that I take with me, and I decide which to take on the day I go hiking. I have had no trouble taking my tripod and monopod on the plane as a carry on with my camera gear, even on international flights.

I have a Manfrotto mono-pod and an Induro tripod that I take with me, and I decide which to take on the day I go hiking. I have had no trouble taking my tripod and monopod on the plane as a carry on with my camera gear, even on international flights.

Heh, I probably should have clarified - that was a tripod along with 3 other bags carried on-board while flying domestic, not a tripod by itself as the personal item.

Actually I was carrying the tripod, monopod, camera bag, and a carry on bag for my daughter! Both domestic & internatinal.

Most reactions

Back