Tripod mount ring/collars

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok...Tripod Collars

So I bought an EF 80-200mm f/2.8 L. Awesome lens. But this thing is a monster.

Because it's older, the tripod collar for it is really hard to find. I'm also not really interested in spending $150 on a Canon white version.

For those of you who have purchased brands other than Canon for collars, what do you think?

I'm not looking for "hey these are cheap on eBay" type responses. I'm looking for those who have purchased and legitimately used them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got the chance to dig out the tripod collar that came with my magic drainpipe when I bought it from what I think is a camera store in Japan on ebay about 3 years ago.

I looked all over and can find NO markings of any kind on it. So I'll guess it's some kind of 'generic' lens collar. Using a ruler, it's 2 and 9/16th inches in diameter when closed and screwed tight. It's obviously a metal casting with felt glued on the inner side of the collar. It weighs perhaps 8 oz...maybe a bit more.

If I were in your situation, I'd check for some 'known brand' tripod collar, such as Vello or something like that. I'd definitely avoid the 'cheapo ebay' stuff, that's for sure. For what it's worth, I don't recall which forum I read it on, but in a discussion of the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6L lens ($1449 retail with no collar!) maybe 6 months ago, responders talked about one from Vello and maybe another vendor that worked well and didn't scratch the lens. I don't know what diameter the 70-300 requires, but I'm guessing it might be a starting point. B&H offers 3 Vellos, one might fit. vello lens bracket | B&H Photo Video=
Perhaps contacting Vello directly or browsing through their website might provide a lead to what you're looking for. Good luck!

You wouldn't want to sell yours would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back