Tripod recommendation

jaa1180

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need opinions on a tripods. I am needing to purchase a tripod that fits my needs but I am having problems finding a good tripod that will do it.
Needs for tripod:
  • Ability to go low to the ground. Macro shots or what ever.
  • Max height around 60+".
  • Hold at least 11lbs.
  • sturdy (a duh point)
  • >=$180
I have two tripods now. I don't like either.
Slik Pro 700DX
Bogen 3001BD (Does everything except the way you switch out the column for the ability to get low to the ground is crazy.)

Ideas? :D

Take a look at Giottos Tripods. Their design looks to fit your needs... except for price.. they are quite expensive.

I say stick with the 3001BD and buy a low-angle adapter if you don't have the one that came with the tripod originally. Don't quite understand why its so difficult to use the 30001+low-angle adapter.

Also check the Manfrotto tripods. Many on Ebay and Amazon.com to choose from.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6CM/104-3954196-2534325?v=glance&n=502394"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6CM/104-3954196-2534325?v=glance&n=502394[/ame]

On the 3001, the adapter on the other end of the ceter column is not really workable most of the time. I can use it but in order to do so, I may be wrong, I will have to take off my ball head, put it on the adapter. Then when done, take off the ball head and put it back on the other end of the column. That is just not feasable. I am already in position, I just need to go a bit lower... not disassemble everything and reassemble it back.

I have found the Bogen 3021BPro..... it seems to be more of what I am looking for.

Any other ideas?

:blushing: :blushing: Oops! That's what happens when you don't read the entire post!...

jaa1180 said:
On the 3001, the adapter on the other end of the ceter column is not really workable most of the time. I can use it but in order to do so, I may be wrong, I will have to take off my ball head, put it on the adapter. Then when done, take off the ball head and put it back on the other end of the column. That is just not feasable. I am already in position, I just need to go a bit lower... not disassemble everything and reassemble it back.

I have found the Bogen 3021BPro..... it seems to be more of what I am looking for.

Any other ideas?

I've seen people with tripods which are designed to have the center column swing independently from the rest of the tripod:

ex12.jpg

But from what I can tell.. they are out of your price range and I don't shoot enough macro to justify it for myself. This is what I've done in the past:

* i've borrowed a head from another tripod of mine and mounted it to the low-angle adapter or shorty center column. Basically two heads which make it easy to swap between the two columns.

* Turned the center column up side down in the legs and widen the tripod stance. Camera will be located in-between of the tripod's legs. You'll end up shooting with camera up side down but it really doesn't matter.

* May favorite.... a bean bag. That will get you really low and provide good support for the camera.

Either way... it will be cheaper than a new tripod and make use of your Bogen that is "almost" keeping you happy.

Mitica100 said:
:blushing: :blushing: Oops! That's what happens when you don't read the entire post!...

It happens, no biggie.:thumbup:

usayit said:
* May favorite.... a bean bag. That will get you really low and provide good support for the camera.

Either way... it will be cheaper than a new tripod and make use of your Bogen that is "almost" keeping you happy.

The bean bag is a really good idea... hmmm, logical.
With the Bogen tripod, there is only one item it does that the other tripod does not, the leg go to 90 degree angle. That is about it. The other is taller, and sturdier. Arrrggg. I am just going to see the both of them and save.

What is a tripod that will work... forget the price.
Ideas?

Thanks for the feedback by the way. Much appreciated.

Most reactions

Back