Tripod recommendations?

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interested in purchasing a tripod, but the price spread is incredible, from what I see on the net. I need a good quality tripod, but not a professional quality tripod. I'm on a budget, and could really use the advice.
Thanks ahead for any help/recommendations. Oh, I forgot, I'm only going to use them for 35mm size and weight cameras, such as Canon's, etc..

J.

How much are you willing to spend? What's the upper limit?

Check out www.manfrotto.com. They make excellent tripods that work for nearly every situation.

Here are some general rules for buying a tripod.
1. The legs need to be long enough to bring the camera up to eye level with out extending the center column with the head attached. Extending the column makes the setup less stable. This will save a lot of back ache.

2. The head needs to be a decent quality head. There are many makers of good heads out there depending on your price range and style you choose. Head preference is a whole nother discussion.

3. The legs and the head need to have a maximum load rating of at least twice the weight of the heaviest gear you ever plan put on it. This also helps provide the stability you need and want in a tripod.

4. The material the tripod is made of needs to be chosen with a few things in mind.

a. Whether you will be carrying it long distances or not. Carbon fiber is lighter and more expensive than aluminum.

b. What conditions you will be using it in. For general use or studio use Aluminum works just fine. In harsher conditions Carbon fiber is a better choice since the carbon fiber will not corode as aluminum will if it is imersed in salt water or water with a lot of minerals. (depending on the minerals) If constantly in very wet conditions a good hard wood tripod is the best. Most people do not use them much as they are heavy, and expensive but they are the most stable choice in a tripod and work well in very damp climates.

5. Pick one with leg locks and control locks that you like and feel comfortable with. Manfrotto lever locks are conienient, however Gitzo's no twist legs are very rapid to set up with their twist locks.

6. Pick a price range you can live with. Good tripods will cost a bit of money, but a good tripod, taken care of can last a lifetime. If you buy cheap you will be replacing it and in the long run spend more then you would have if you bought wisely the first time.

I bought my Manfrotto more than a decade ago, back when I was still using a Nikon FG. I don't think digital cameras even existed at the time. I can't really speak to the competition, but I'll tell you that that fella is a beast, lived through everything I've throw at it and still works just as well as the day I bought it. Quality you just don't see much of these days.

Once I took a shot standing on a picnic table, the tripod was on the ground, and even with the camera something like ten feet in the air, it was still stable. Does weigh a ton, but I still carry it everywhere.

Most reactions

Back