Tripod selection help

jrtcbmw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok so im in the market for a tripod. Im not looking to break the bank right now. Looking to keep it under $150. What im looking for is decent build quality, and strudiness, and the ablity to reach in the neighborhood of 6 foot.

Right now i have seen and have my eye on a couple over at B&H. They are:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 725B

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 190XDB

Slik Pro 700DX

Im open to all options and suggestions.

Thank you
Jason

Just some advice from my shopping exp.

• I avoided using the max height value including center column extension. Mostly because the center column isn't as rigid as a fixed plate on 3 legs and you really want a tripod that can get JUST close to your working height and optionally MAYBE use a center post. I removed my center post and have a flat base.
  • If you want good height, try some 3 section tripods. They tend to be more rigid and extend higher without a center post at the expense of portability.
  • I have both a Manfrotto/Bogen 3 section aluminum and a Gitzo Basalt 4 section. I really like the Gitzo twist locks over the snaps. The snaps eventually need to be adjusted and I found the twist locks to be easier to take down. That being said, Manfrotto/Bogen is a reputable brand. Benro has had good reviews as a cheaper alternative to Gitzo but I think Benro is beyond your $150 budget.
  • The Slik you list below has a pan&tilt head which is best used for videography. I would go with a ball head so that means choosing your Manfrotto selection below.
Hope that helps. Also check Craigslist for cheap legs/tripods. I bought my Manfrotto legs for $75 bucks. :)

Ok so im in the market for a tripod. Im not looking to break the bank right now. Looking to keep it under $150. What im looking for is decent build quality, and strudiness, and the ablity to reach in the neighborhood of 6 foot.

Right now i have seen and have my eye on a couple over at B&H. They are:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 725B

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 190XDB

Slik Pro 700DX

Im open to all options and suggestions.

Thank you
Jason

What equipment are you planning on putting on it? Any large lenses? That will help decide. If it's heavy, that Benro will not cut it. It shows 4.5 lbs as a max weight.

Most reactions

Back