Tripod under $100

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Harpua, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Harpua

Harpua TPF Noob!

I am looking to buy a decent tripod for under $100, but I really have no idea what I am looking for. I know I want one that is not too heavy as I will be taking it on walks and hikes. I went to the camera store close to me the other day, but they only had 2 tripods and neither seemed all that great. Plus both were VERY heavy.

It looks like I will need to buy one online as my camera store sucks. Can anyone recommend any particular makes and models that would be good? If it matters, I have a D70S.

I got some advice on another post that mentioned a few brands to look at, but I think I need a little more advice as there are so many tripods in each brand. Any help you can give this newbie would be hugely appreciated as I am very camera poor and don't want to waste my $ on a bad tripod. Thanks!

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'd put into this perspective.....

Tripods ( assuming purchased new ) are like anything else in this hobby... you get what you pay for. Would you consider trusting equipment that adds up to $1000+ on a tripod that you spent less than $100?

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    With that said... you can't go wrong with Bogen/Manfrotto tripods and heads. Gitzos are generally nice too but more expensive. I have two tripods from Bogen/Manfrotto and I'd trust either one with my equipment.

4. Harpua

Harpua TPF Noob!

Thanks usayit. So with that said, what is a reasonable price to expect to pay for something worthwhile?

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can pick up a cheap tripod for $20-$50.

Plastic head and plastic or aluminum legs...not the best option but it will work in a pinch.

What ever you get, make sure to get one with a quick release head.

6. Harpua

Harpua TPF Noob!

Thanks Mike. i would not have known to look for that. Do the less expensive models have that or will I only find a quick release if I drop some $?

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, a lot of the cheaper ones do have a quick release plate.

8. Harpua

Harpua TPF Noob!

Cool, thanks!

Well I think I want to probably stay away from the real cheapo ones as I only want to have to buy one tripod and want to get something I will be happy with for a while.

I have seen Bogen/Manfrotto mentioned a number of times. What models might be worth me looking at in my price range?

9. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is the Bogen site (Manfrotto & many other brands) http://www.bogenimaging.us/

Maybe go into a good camera shop and try a few out. Then at least you can compare the expensive ones with the cheap ones. If you do want to go with a cheaper one, you may get a better deal at Wal-mart or a one-hour lab type of shop. Although, I've seen some pretty good sales on cheap tripods at my local big camera store.

10. Harpua

Harpua TPF Noob!

The problem is that I do not have a good camera shop close by that I can get to. There are two camera shops (Ritz Camera) both about 30 minutes from my house (in different directions), but their selection is horrible. they had 2 tripods to pick from and both weighed as much as my car.

Thanks for that site. I will give that a good study!

11. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

You can ride into Cambridge and go by the Calumet Photo. Look them up online, they have a huuuuge selection. (Oh, the trouble I could get into at that store...;))

12. Harpua

Harpua TPF Noob!

I haven't been able to get that far East in about a year with my work schedule and having a 1 year old at home. The last time I was anywhere close to Cambridge was a year ago when my daughter was born in Boston.

I will keep that store in mind though for the next time I am anywhere near that area. I am dying to spend some time in a decent photo shop!

Thanks for the advice hobbes.