Tripod usage

4 quick connect plates is handy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get to a site and go "oh CRAP, where is my plate?!??!"
I have already mounted one on my 80-400 and, I dont plan on taking it off.

You need a quick connect plate for EVERYTHING you have that could be mounted on a tripod lol. It's not like you need something else to slow you down :lmao:

I use a tripod for probably 50% of my shots. It lets me take nighttime photos at ISO 50... Velvia is such a wonderful medium ('nuff said).

You need a quick connect plate for EVERYTHING you have that could be mounted on a tripod lol.

Exactly. :)

I only use a tripod maybe 40% of the time I'm shooting, but EVERYTHING has a plate on it.

...It looks cooler that way too. lol.

You need a quick connect plate for EVERYTHING you have that could be mounted on a tripod lol.

I only use a tripod maybe 40% of the time I'm shooting, but EVERYTHING has a plate on it.

Well Im using the one with the knurled hand knob for the camera because my monopod head wont take the other plates. Everything else I have that needs it gets the screw ones. I cant wait to use this beast tomorrow.

Well Im using the one with the knurled hand knob for the camera because my monopod head wont take the other plates. Everything else I have that needs it gets the screw ones. I cant wait to use this beast tomorrow.

That would change real quick.... I have a manfrotto head on everything, that way no matter what combination of equipment I am using, I don't have to worry if the plate fits or not.

+1 on what most have said...

I have a Manfrotto 3021BPRO with a 3265 head, and a 676B Digi monopod with a 484RC2 head, and I probably use one or the other 20% of the time, however I've got plates on everything.

If we could ever get the P&S designers to measure a few QC plates and make the cameras so batteries and memory cards could be changed without removing the plate, I'd probably do just that.

Sometimes I want to leave one of the P&Ss doing long, low ISO exposures while I'm working with something else at hand-manageable or at least monopod speeds, so it's useful to have everything ready to switch if I change my mind.

A tripod is just a tool some shots will require it and other wont. It's not like you make a decision to be a tripod photographer of non tripod photographer.

I use a tripod whenever it is possible or practical. A steady camera makes for a sharp image. A sharp image taken hand-held would be be even sharper had it been taken with a tripod or a monopod.

When I'm out walking around the city or countryside with my camera, I'll at least take a monopod with me. In the countryside it doubles as a walking stick (and works to clear the webs which spiders string across the trails every night).

When working with large format cameras I always use a tripod. For the Hasselblad I'd have to say better than 90% of the time. On the Canon it depends entirely on what I am shooting, but I am tending to use it less since I bought the 24-105L because the image stabilisation is so good.

My reasons for using a tripod are not just about stability though. It can be used to find angles that would be difficult to maintain when hand held, while it forces you to slow down and look carefully at composition etc. Very often my images have to be set up over time so they aren't just grab shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back