Tripod... What are you looking for

markc said:
If it makes you feel any better, my first tripod was an inexpensive metal/plastic thing. It wasn't great, but it was still better than nothing, and got me used to using a tripod. It's now been relegated to a stand for my home-made reflector, which it's perfect for.

I buy $30 cheapo tripods and use them for flash and reflector stands too.

karissa said:
usayit said:
This one is neat as it can stand on its own ( a little expensive though ):
http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=14&itemid=1815
only weighs in at 2.4 lbs.

Hmm... I'm liking this one... Thanks a bunch... I have an idea of what I'm saving for. Or asking for on graduation presents. By the way... May 31st... Can't wait!
I probably wouldn't use that as my main tripod. It's a nice monopod that has legs that make it a more stable monopod, but it's not what I would call a tripod. Those legs aren't going to be very sturdy. It's better than noting, but like any monopod, it's still going to rely on you holding it to keep it steady.

One hint when using a tripod is to use the leg extensions for height as much as possible. This gives you a larger and more stable base. It's easier to keep the legs compressed and just crank up the center post, but then the camera is sticking up in the air without as much latteral support as it would get if you were extending the legs, which is the whole point of the tripod. I only extend the center post if I absolutely have too. Also, the few the number of extensions the legs have, the more stable it will be.

markc said:
One hint when using a tripod is to use the leg extensions for height as much as possible. This gives you a larger and more stable base. It's easier to keep the legs compressed and just crank up the center post, but then the camera is sticking up in the air without as much latteral support as it would get if you were extending the legs, which is the whole point of the tripod. I only extend the center post if I absolutely have too. Also, the few the number of extensions the legs have, the more stable it will be.

That shouldn't be a problem for me right now since the center post is broken on the one I have. It doesn't crank up anymore and I have not looked into how it works to try and fix it yet. Dad found it around the house not to long ago and I was thrilled to have it just the way it was. Thanks for the tips!

Yo,
I just purchased the Manfrotto/Bogen 3001BN and 486RC2 head AND carrying case from B and H and it was $200.
I am EXCITED AS HELL, as someone with supremely shaky hands.
I have one in my possession, testing it out from the camera store and it's more than sufficient, even overkill for my little Canon G5.
Definitely consider the 3001 legs!
Me, the Flea

For portability and hiking I like the Benbo line from UK and also the Cullmann. The latter folds very neatly. Benbo though is an awesome tripod (Trekker model), very unusual design and useful if you like to do some close-up photography. The center column swings 180 deg. (I believe) and the legs can be moved apart from each other a great deal, making it useful for uneven terrain. Also, they are fully enclosed, so water and sand/dust doesn't get inside. They're pricey alright, you can see them on E-bay. I think they're worth looking at, if you're a hiker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3806140368&category=30094

I hope this helps.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do not use my tripod all that often, I also have the Bogen 3001 and Manfrotto3265 ball head, I am happy with the tripod despite how little I have used, but wish I would have got a tilt pan head, the problem I have with ball head is that it control both axes, so you always have to adjust both

I bought mine because I wanted something I could manipulate quickly. Having used it a while now, I think I agree. It can be a little tricky to make fine adjustments, so for what I'm using it for now, I probably would have been better off with a pan-tilt head.

It still looks pretty damn cool, though. :p

3265_grip_head_222.jpg

Since this thread is popping up again, I've found a good setup while on the go that might catch some of your interest. My original tripod is a Manfrotto 3021S ( short version ) that I originally liked for its small size and stability ( seems a little more sturdy than the 3001 series ). It was put aside once I realized how much I liked a full height tripod. Thats until recently ( good thing I never got around to selling it ). I found ( now discontinued ) 3259 Manfrotto center column monopod ( $30 + shipping ). A dual purpose 3 section monopod that is also a center column for the old 3011 and 3021 tripods. The compact 3021S ( about the same weight as the 3001 ) combined with the quick convenient 3259 center column/monopod makes for a nice on-the-go setup. The 3259 as a center column is longer which gives me more height than the original center column. I can even loosen the tripod colar and pull out the 3259 for use as a monopod without unfolding the 3021S legs. I think I am going to like it and I can't wait to take it with me on my next excursion.
Only disadv is that the 3259 longish center column doesn't really allow you to get down low. Good reason to keep the original column.

Its kinda hard to explain so I'm just going to post a quick pic.
49308535.jpg

Well since someone brought up ball heads...

Fine adjustment with the convenience of a ball head? Sounds like you two should check out some sort of fluid ball head with fine brake tension adjustment. Bogen pro-balls are suppose to be good but way out of my price range. What you see in the pic above is a fluid ball-head similar to Bogen pro-balls. Fluid head, pan w/lock, tension adj, and ball lock head by Giottos. Less than half the price of Bogen. We'll have to see if it holds up as well as Bogen. Doesn't seem to be a popular brand in the US.

Wonder what if your luggage would get red flagged if you tried to pass airport security with that packed inside. Sure looks like some trigger device.... :lol:

I have those aluminum plastic tripods, and after a year one of the latches that fastens one of the leg sections broke, I did a search a while ago in bogen but i'm affraid they will not last my use, I use my tripod everytime I go out, and don't care too much about the weight (someone said 7-8 pounds) that's alright for me but, are they durable??? that's my only concern

Most reactions

New Topics

Back